Menu
Bee1000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TIVO to V360 Upgrade - Customer Feedback for VM

Hi Forum,

A few weeks ago I upgraded from a TIVO box to V360 and have come across a number of usability issues which seem to be 'By Design'. I've been advised that if I post my feedback here it will be picked up by VM and passed to the relevant team.

Apologies for the length of this post.

Thanks,

Bee1000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The 'Play Next Episode' message box
------------------------------------------------------
15 seconds before the end of a TVBox-recorded programme a message box is displayed with text like 'Next Episode will start in ## seconds' where the ## is a 15 second countdown. The annoyance is that this message appears when the TVBox's timing thinks the end of the programme has been reached rather than at the actual end. So when a programme overruns into the buffer recording time this message appears prior to the end. Surely it should be appearing at the end of the whole recording not at the end of the programme?

Additionally the default action is to play the next episode so should it take longer than 15 seconds to locate the remote and cancel this message box there's lots of button pressing to restart the just watched episode and fast-forward to where it left off to watch the last couple of minutes. This is incredibly annoying and I just cannot understand why is this happening on box-recorded programmes. It needs fixing so the timing of the message is moved to the end of the entire recording (or provide an option to completely switch off next episode autoplay to stop it appearing in the first place - this would be my preference).

2. Wishlists
---------------
The TIVO Wishlists feature doesn't exist on V360. I previously had a number of Wishlists set up for favourite actors/comedians/etc which worked well in a set-and-forget type way. I was aware of no Wishlists but their absence is much more annoying than anticipated.

This also means it is not possible to set a programme/film to record that is not currently listed in the TV guide.

3. Searches
----------------
Searching for a particular show or film works, but it isn't always obvious if a search result is TVbox recordable, OnDemand or AmazonPrime. I'm not an AmazonPrime subscriber so don't care about its search results - and there are a lot of them. Can't there be a selectable option to hide these or make the programme source clearer?

Searches are not saved on the TVBox, however the TVGo app records the last 5 'search-selected programmes' (this isn't quite the same as saving searches though - see actor search below).

Searching for a particular actor is the recommended alternative to Wishlists. The search works (but doesn't always show suggestions on the TVbox - whereas the TIVO did), but results again tend to be swamped with AmazonPrime entries and its unclear what is TVbox watchable and what isn't. The TVGo app also doesn't save these searches within its 5-most-recent. For example search for 'Tom Cruise'. This returns numerous results across upcoming programmes (including on channels to which I don't subscribe), VirginStore & AmazonPrime. Clicking on 'Top Gun' stores 'Top Gun' as a recent search on the app whereas what I'd like is for it to store 'Tom Cruise'. What would be much better is a user controlled 'Saved Searches' feature allowing an actor search to be stored and repeated as required. Still vastly more hassle than a TIVO wishlist though.

4. Series Links
--------------------
It is not possible to cancel recording of a single episode. The only option available is to delete the entire series link. As an example a few weekends ago there were numerous European Cup rugby matches shown live across several channels. I was only interested in a few games and tried to cancel the recording of the others (like with the TIVO) to find this wasn't possible. So I ended up recording all matches and deleting most unwatched.  This was annoying and unneccesarily used up disk space.

Series links only show the next upcoming episode in the Planned Recordings list view. The TIVO showed all planned-to-record episodes in a unified view. Its annoying not being able to easily see what the TVBox will do. All upcoming episodes of a series can be seen by pressing OK on the single displayed episode but its a separate screen unique to that series.

Series links seem to be locked to a single channel. I've noticed a few rugby matches in the guide that were not set up to record but which I believed should be covered by a series link. The TIVO was explicit in specifying recording on a single channel or across all channels. This option doesn't exist on the V360 box - I think it should.

Also another separate rugby match issue - I've come across a match that wasn't set to record but when I tried to record it a message is displayed something like 'Programme is already scheduled to record on another channel'. It wasn't set to record elsewhere - it was a live game. It did allow me to record the game but surely this message should not have appeared.

There's no specific 'Manage Series Links' screen like the TIVO. I have no idea what happens to a series link when all programmes have been broadcast. Does it stay stored somewhere ready to reactivate for the next series? Or will it need to be set up again? A Manage Series Links screen would make it clear.

5. Split films not recorded as a single programme
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes a film is shown in 2 parts split by the news or similar - ITV in particular. The TIVO box used to recognise this and auto-record both parts as a single programme. The V360 box annoyingly sees these situations as 2 separate episodes of a series which means when part 1 finishes the 'Play Next Episode' message box annoyance as described above pops up just prior to the end. The workaround is to record episode 1 only and add 2 hours of buffer time to the end, but again its just an unneccesary annoyance. Additionally the TVGo app only allows up to 60 mins of buffer time to be added whereas the TVBox allows up to 3 hours.

6. No list view on TVGo app
-------------------------------------
Recorded programmes and planned recordings cannot be shown in a list view on the TVGo app like they can on the TVBox. On a small mobile screen the thumbnail images are huge requiring lots of scrolling.

7. Positives
---------------
Not to be completely negative there are some plus points. The picture quality on the V360 box is better than the TIVO, menus are more responsive, the box doesn't reboot every few days, and on-demand & catch-up content plays reliably without network error messages every 15 minutes (which is ultimately why I upgraded to V360).

Also having a remote that doesn't need to be pointed directly at the TVBox is much more convenient than I expected. I'm finding having to point other remotes at the relevant box quite annoying now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO to V360 Upgrade - Customer Feedback for VM

Just to point one thing out and without knowing the history of your case...

@Bee1000 wrote:

7. Positives
---------------
Not to be completely negative there are some plus points. The picture quality on the V360 box is better than the TIVO, menus are more responsive, the box doesn't reboot every few days, and on-demand & catch-up content plays reliably without network error messages every 15 minutes (which is ultimately why I upgraded to V360).

The bits in bold are not a problem inherent to the TiVo platform and to suggest otherwise isn't correct. Boxes rebooting every few days have a fault, and network errors on TiVo boxes are quite often symptomatic of the internal net connection being broken without the user realising.

A valid and helpful post with some good points made - but to suggest that certain issues are endemic within TiVo (and therefore the fix is to migrate to 360) isn't accurate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You state boxes rebooting have a fault.  It seems it's an acceptable/tolerable fault in my experience and reading.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No box should be rebooting in normal operation, more than occasionally & overnight.

I'm aware you've got your own threads with some specific issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Bee1000
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your replies.

I was on my 4th TIVO box in approx 5 years.  All ultimately failed in the same way - several weeks of regular reboots eventually getting stuck on the 'Starting Up' screen.  Until the most recent lockdown I wasn't a regular user of OnDemand/CatchUp via the TIVO but finding it didn't work properly was seriously annoying (not getting what I was paying for etc, etc).  After one day where the box rebooted 3 times within 1 hour I'd had enough and contacted VM.  What I've got costs me the same £ per month (although I did need to pay a £25 activation fee).  If the TIVO had been fault-free (and your post implies there was a fault) I would've kept it.  I did check the Service Status website every so often and run the tests but it never reported any issues.  Maybe others have TIVOs that work fine - for me that wasn't the case.  My thinking was - do I stick with this situation until a complete failure and continue to be annoyed until that point, or do I try a change?

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Bee-1000

I'm so sorry to see you've had this issue with your Tivo it does sound incredibly frustrating and I am so sorry it has been ongoing. 

I understand you have some features of your new box that you aren't particularly happy about, but can I ask if you have any technical faults or issues with this new box at all? I'd like to make sure your new box is working fully for you! 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Bee1000
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the reply - all of TVBox / Superhub / OnDemand / CatchUp are working fine with no technical faults - and I hope it stays that way.  Bit of hassle getting the superhub into modem mode at self-install time (I'm using my own router) as it seems to detect what's connected to it on boot-up and doesn't like cables being plugged/unplugged when switched on - but got there eventually.

Regards,

Bee1000

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the update @Bee1000,

I am sorry for the hassle you have had with getting this fixed.

I am glad to see that this is now working for you 🙂

I hope you have a lovely day! You know where we are if you need help again.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos