Menu
stublee
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Switching TV from Sky

My apologies - I previously posted this on wrong forum .....

I currently have a VM package , without a contract ,  which includes 200mb BB and standard TV entertainment package which is on my  second TV in bedroom .  I have been with VM ( old NTL ) for 20 years and never had any problem with consistent internet speeds as advertised . I have SKY on my main TV in lounge and stuck with SKY previously mainly for SKY HD Sports as didn't like the old VM remote and interface etc.  However been trying the new TV 360 and find it to be superior now to how it used to be and more suitable for my needs .  The  Ultimate Ooomph bundle  looks a good offer at the moment for an 18 month contract and I am considering taking it up . ... however I have the following questions :-

Does it include the second mini box in the deal ( not an extra £10 pm )  Does an engineer come and set up installation ? How does the 14 day money back guarantee work if when comparing I decide to stick with SKY ?

0 Kudos
joebloggs
Dialled in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switching TV from Sky

If you have broadband with Virgin - it’s highly likely they won’t offer the prices advertised for new customers - just for 350Mb broadband and Maxit TV was a similar price to the oomph package advertised on the website! 

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@joebloggs wrote:

If you have broadband with Virgin - it’s highly likely they won’t offer the prices advertised for new customers - just for 350Mb broadband and Maxit TV was a similar price to the oomph package advertised on the website! 

That depends on your approach... 😎

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you upgrade to the Ultimate Oomph package then the second set top box is included in the price.

You would be best speaking to Retentions (thinking of leaving us) rather than regrades when negotiating a new deal as they have more leeway regarding pricing. All regrades have a 14 day cooling off period.

One slight problem at the moment, do you only have one VM coaxial point in the property? If you have an additional VM point in the lounge you should be ok with a quick start kit, otherwise due to covid  VM aren't currently installing additional boxes  - info below from

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/coronavirus-update 

As soon as restrictions ease then VM will update that page.

• Where QuickStart is unavailable, we’re still installing Virgin TV boxes for new customers, but for now we won’t install any extra TV boxes to minimise our technicians’ time in customers’ homes. Customers will receive a £10 monthly bill credit until we can safely complete their order. Similarly, our technicians won’t install or move extra phone outlets, extensions or WiFi Pods, and ask customers to contact us by phone or through our online Messenger to reschedule when restrictions ease. For Hub installs or upgrades, we offering our install-it-yourself QuickStart service at no extra charge, where available. Replacement Virgin TV remotes are being sent out by post.
Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Royalbeech
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If and when you phone them don't forget to mention you have Sky TV, that will help your cause.

I have just saved myself £40 a month by upgrading to the Oomph package from maxit TV(NO sky sports HD or cinema), 200mb BB and no telephone. And ending one EE mobile account. 

So upgrading to the Oomph package has given me both sky sports & cinema in HD, anytime telephone calls and a unlimited data sim, absolute no brainer! £89 a month.

Show me a better deal from anyone else? 

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @stublee,

Thank you for your post, we're here to help.

If you already have services with us and you're looking to make a package change and/or upgrade then please reach out to our retentions department on 0345 454 1111 (or on 150 free of charge from a Virgin Media landline) and they can discuss offers and options with you.

Alternatively, if you don't wish to call, you can find all of our other contact information here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
stublee
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply - I still have cable going through sitting room wall for when I initially had a box downstairs years ago before getting SKY so hopefully that will be OK . It's behind a cabinet fixture so I am going to have to take a look see to see what is on the end of it and still good to go ?
0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Oh I see, yes you can still check the cable, but if you are looking to switch from SKY then we may provide a cable for you to sort out the TV, but it would be best to get in touch with our team to find out what they think on their end regarding the cable. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
stublee
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On checking the feed cable from the box outside I see that it has been cut before it goes through the living room wall where I had my original old NTL / Virgin set top box . Also cut close to the box on outside wall . Not sure whether this was done by the VM engineer when he moved the feed to the upstairs bedroom where I now have my v6 ( 360 ) box or by the SKY engineer when I switched to SKY downstairs . Either way it looks as though a VM engineer will have to call and sort things if and when I have the main VM box downstairs in living room . Router currently upstairs . So if VM engineers are currently not doing this work it seems pointless negotiating a switch from SKY at the moment ? SKY doesn't seem to have a problem with new broad band installations !
0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@stublee wrote:
So if VM engineers are currently not doing this work...

I believe you're describing a "New Customer" situation here.  If so, then they're still doing installs for new customers.

0 Kudos