Menu
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Startover - Channel List?

I’m sure I read somewhere that there are around 30 channels which can use the Startover function.

Has anyone found a list of the channels?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Startover - Channel List?

I am not 100% sure but i think it would be any show that is on a channel with  on demand or catchup or anything you are recording 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That would seem logical but.....

If a program is recording, it’s not really Startover, it’s ‘chase recording’ and applies to all channels, not a subset of channels.

It can’t simply apply to all channels with On Demand or Catch Up as very few channels have the VOD material available at the same time as broadcast. For this, BBC do but it invokes the BBC iPlayer app.

I get the feeling that Startover is something different. Perhaps possibly, channel automatically buffering in the background.

Perhaps @BlueLou can enlighten us as to the channels involved and the mechanism?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Startover is mostly based on the same tech than enables our enhanced catch up catalog.

Essentially we record everything in the cloud for the enabled channels and that’s what you can tap into for Startover and Catch Up. Where we have a catch up app available (such as iPlayer) we may link to that instead. So it is kind of like buffering!

I’ve asked for a list of channels enabled too, haven’t been given one yet! But there will be a lot more coming over the next few months