Menu
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Specs comparison between Arris V6 Box and Humax 360

Hi all,

Does anyone have details of the specs on the Arris V6 box and the Humax TV 360 box. Only wondering as the Humax box is obviously newer and wondering if it has better processor, memory ad hard disk etc and  if that will affect performance.

Kind Regards

Tiff

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Specs comparison between Arris V6 Box and Humax 360

There is no practical difference.

They are the same design and similar spec. Both have a 1TB HDD in them.

The only technical difference is that the Humax box only runs as 360. The Arris boxes can run either the TiVo or 360 platform.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So Humax have built a new box with old tech in it that sounds unusual. There must be some differences as it seems like the recording bug in 4.28 could only affecting Arris boxes  

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not sure what you mean by 'old tech'. The boxes are designed to run the 360 platform. They do that in the same way. They don't need to do more than that so there won't be major differences that mean one runs faster or slower than the other.

But like with Windows computers, two computers that perform the same might have different hardware within that needs appropriate optimisations. If there is an issue with the Arris boxes running the 360 platform then it can and will be fixed.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

ok thanks for the information

0 Kudos
LoneSpeaker
Up to speed
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've got 2 Arris boxes and both upgraded to 4.28 and neither have buffering issues.  Not that it helps you mind 🙂

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can I have your boxes then, weird thing is there shouldn't be any buffering watching a recorded program on the Hard Disk seems to be more of a hard drive IO issue.

0 Kudos
Gary06028
Superfast
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Both of my boxes are buffering , freezing and skipping back .

Have been on the phone to virgin and have raised a tier 2 assistant to call me back 

0 Kudos
markdyer72
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

No problems with recordings here.  Touch wood 😊

0 Kudos
lennyv
Up to speed
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My concern with the idea of pushing the Horizon platform onto a V6 box was that it would run sluggishly. In my experience, Humax have previous when it comes to replacing one platform that worked perfectly well on their hardware with a shinier, more visual interface that made the box painfully slow to use.

The good news seems to be that there isn't much if any hardware difference between the two boxes. The V6 might be a few years old, but I think it was praised for being pretty fast when it was released, and the Horizon software has also been available for a while, just not for Virgin UK customers. And bearing in mind the fact that you can buy one of several cheap devices that you can plug into your TV if you only want to use streaming services (Google TV, Chromecast, Roku, Fire etc) the processing demand for that side is possibly fairly light. I've no idea if the HDD is the same or different in the two boxes, but if the V6 can cope with handling recordings already I suppose it should be able to continue handling that on a different platform without any problem.

I don't know if there are things the 360 can handle that the V6 can't, like some audio codecs, or whether that is all handled in the software anyway.

0 Kudos