Menu
Tonyt1962
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports

Watching Scotland game and in a video call with friends , they both have sky q and they are 7 seconds ahead of me … absolutely ridiculous!  Does anyone know why ? 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports

@Tonyt1962 wrote:

Watching Scotland game and in a video call with friends , they both have sky q and they are 7 seconds ahead of me … absolutely ridiculous!  Does anyone know why ? 

HD channels are fibre fed direct to Virgin’s master headend near Heathrow airport. They are then reprocessed & pumped around Virgin’s core network to the regional headends where they are converted to RF to go around the local networks. All these stages add around a second of delay. SD channels are picked up from the Astra satellite cluster (the same ones Sky customers use) by the same MHE & thence the same distribution process applies. Hence Virgin’s service will always have a bigger delay than anyone using a direct reception method. All part of the fun of having digital TV.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks