cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports UHD and V360 bug

Bob44
On our wavelength

Virgin, please address this.

There are a lot of posts about Sky Sports UHD being dull. If you read through these threads someone has found the answer, which clearly shows it to be a fault.

When I tune into Sports UHD it is dull and colors are flat.

From that channel, if I go to settings and adjust screen resolution from Automatic or 4k to say 1080p  but instead of confirming the change select revert to previous resolution,  and then cancel back to Sports UHD the colour is perfect.

Once you pause or rewind or change channel the picture degrades again.

So it's a fault and it's not just my V360, it's others too.

Can you look at this and fix this bug please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No - because you may be (accidently) tricking the tv. When you pause etc. the HLG is likeky to be interupted and may be restarting itself.

You can stop the dull effect by switching off the HLG bit of the signal - which you may be doing. But as soon as the HLG start is detected again it switches the tv into that mode.

The effect is UHD/HLG is dull - and UHD is better.  That shouldn't happen but it is what is being raised as issues.

The Sky forum is worth a read as there are dozens reporting the issue. Some also say it seems to be intermittant.

Some have even said Sky have told them it is an issue with the Sky Sports UHD signal.

My 360 box can make my tv squeal - it is intermittant and can be resolved with settings on the 360, but the settings loose quality - but the fault is the tv itself.

I suspect the 360 is not automatically doing anything with the signal to change - but there do seem to be a lot of issues with the HLG format being sent out by Sky.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Bob44
On our wavelength

Interesting that VM are happy pushing this service that clearly isn't fit for purpose.

The V360 box doesn't deal with the HLG signal correctly. ..it messes with the menu colouring and the broadcast.

I tried DMing staff and got a DM back telling me off for doing so.

It's enough incompetence and ignorance to make me want to leave VM after years of being a happy customer.

Clearly they know it doesn't work properly but would rather flog it than fix it.

Some people are even being convinced they need a new TV...you don't! It's a V360 problem.

Bob44
On our wavelength

Raised a complaint with clear description of issue and how it can be shown to be a bug.

UHD on the V360 is currently not fit for purpose. Not until the bug is fixed.

Wonder will anyone care to respond before I cancel ?

ozsat
Superstar

I've never seen this issue on my V360 but have seen reports in Sky's own forums.

It seems to be certain tv's with the issue - so posting the make/model of the tv may provide some advice.

LG seems to be the make with the most issues reported with this problem in other forums.

Bob44
On our wavelength

It is 100% not my TV.

The issue is with the V360.

As with my original post, the issue can be temporarily resolved with a workaround on the v360 settings...and then fails again as soon as you change channel,  pause or basically do anything. 

What is the make/model of the tv?  It could be a setting issue and you may get advice from others without the issue.

All is perfect here in UHD/HLG on my Panasonic.

One of the things Sky users have been doing to fix the issue is turn off HLG - but 360 doesn't have that option.

Thre Panasonic TV does have the option itself - so maybe you tv does too?

Bob44
On our wavelength

It's a Samsung 7series UE55...not at home at present.

I appreciate you are trying yoto help, and thank you, but I've been through all expert settings and no matter what setting I chose the issue remains.

Yes you can make it as bright as you want, but the colours are dulled down to.some extent unless I do the workaround as per my first post .

This can only mean it's a V360 issue...as my TV displays the UHD perfectly when I go through the workaround I posted.

A quick search lists QE55LS03AAUXXU has having the dull issue with UHD/HLG on SkyQ.

I'll update if I can find the fix?

The main thread is at  https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-sports-uhd-picture-dark/td-p/4192415

It seems to be a Sky issue rather than the VM box.

A search in that forum will bring up quite a lot of unhappy users.

@Bob44 wrote:

It's a Samsung 7series UE55...not at home at present.

I appreciate you are trying yoto help, and thank you, but I've been through all expert settings and no matter what setting I chose the issue remains.

Yes you can make it as bright as you want, but the colours are dulled down to.some extent unless I do the workaround as per my first post .

This can only mean it's a V360 issue...as my TV displays the UHD perfectly when I go through the workaround I posted.

Bob44
On our wavelength

I appreciate your efforts to help ozsat. 

My logic is, if I can display the picture perfectly when I do the v360 settings workaround I posted, but only until I change channel or pause etc , then logic dictates it can ONLY be v360 issue.

Do you follow me?

No - because you may be (accidently) tricking the tv. When you pause etc. the HLG is likeky to be interupted and may be restarting itself.

You can stop the dull effect by switching off the HLG bit of the signal - which you may be doing. But as soon as the HLG start is detected again it switches the tv into that mode.

The effect is UHD/HLG is dull - and UHD is better.  That shouldn't happen but it is what is being raised as issues.

The Sky forum is worth a read as there are dozens reporting the issue. Some also say it seems to be intermittant.

Some have even said Sky have told them it is an issue with the Sky Sports UHD signal.

My 360 box can make my tv squeal - it is intermittant and can be resolved with settings on the 360, but the settings loose quality - but the fault is the tv itself.

I suspect the 360 is not automatically doing anything with the signal to change - but there do seem to be a lot of issues with the HLG format being sent out by Sky.