cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Cinema UHD on Virgin

bemybezzyman
Dialled in

So if anyone from virginmedia or anyone in the know can answer a simple question I'd appreciate it. I have a suspicion that Sky Cinema UHD on virgin is not properly UHD because like I said in an earlier post that my tv says when an UHD signal is showing like it does with Sky Sports UHD on channel 532 and it don't with Cinema UHD and also the picture is not 4K quality in the slightest.

Any advice on this would be appreciated 

5 REPLIES 5

ozsat
Superstar

The tv reports the format of the signal from your 360 which is fixed at UHD even when watching an SD channel.

Sky Cinema is UHD on the 360 if you subscribe to it but is not in the EPG.

Yuo watch available films from Sky Cinema in UHD - press the HOME button - select 'Box Sets & Movies' - select 'Movies' - then scroll down to 'Sky Cinema UHD' icon.

The films from there look 4K quality - but some films were only made in 2K so you will get some which look worse than others.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

@ozsat

Please forgive me as I'm not very technical minded but can you explain something for me please,

Is UHD the same as 4K ??

When I watch Sky Sports UHD my tv always says its getting a HLG HDR signal from the 360 box but not when watching a film under the Cinema UHD umbrella.

Is HLG HDR the same as 4k ??

Thanks for any answers

For VM and Sky - UHD is the same as 4K.

HLG/HDR is an enhancement to the colour/brightness of the picture but is not available on all UHD assets and there are no HLG/HDR Sky Cinema UHD assets on VirginMedia.

Sky Sports UHD channels use HDR/HLG - but BT Sports Ulitmate which is UHD does not on VirginMedia.

@bemybezzyman wrote:

@ozsat

Please forgive me as I'm not very technical minded but can you explain something for me please,

Is UHD the same as 4K ??

When I watch Sky Sports UHD my tv always says its getting a HLG HDR signal from the 360 box but not when watching a film under the Cinema UHD umbrella.

Is HLG HDR the same as 4k ??

Thanks for any answers

Apologies I have just one more question,

I obviously have a 4K tv and a 360 box so when I watch a film from the UHD selection does it automatically play the 4K film or do I need to manually select the 4K version rather than HD ??

Again sorry for the questions but its been really informative and I do appreciate it.

It will play the UHD version if you went through the menus.

When the film starts you get the progress bar at the bottom of the Sky for a few seconds.

If UHD you get the 'Sky Cinema UHD' logo.

@bemybezzyman wrote:

Apologies I have just one more question,

I obviously have a 4K tv and a 360 box so when I watch a film from the UHD selection does it automatically play the 4K film or do I need to manually select the 4K version rather than HD ??

Again sorry for the questions but its been really informative and I do appreciate it.