Menu
Palexr
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Should I "upgrade" my V6 to 360 software?

Hi, I've received the emails from VM to say that they have added TV360 and removed V6.  This is even though I'm not on any "Oomph" package but hey ho. 

I guess from the comments on here that despite what they explicitly say they are not going to actually replace my V6 box with a new TV360 box?  I assume they actually meant to say that I will receive a new remote and have to perform a software update on the V6?

From many of the comments on this forum I'd actually rather not do that for a while.  Thing is I have now got an email from VM to say the remotes are on their way.  Do I have to "upgrade"?  Or, can I just ignore it until a later date? Is the swap timed in any way? Will VM push the software upgrade on my V6 or is dependent on me starting the process?

Or am I needlessly worrying and i can go ahead and upgrades?

Lots of questions which I don't feel a longstanding customer who is more than a little IT literate should feel they are left with.

0 Kudos
LoneSpeaker
Up to speed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Should I "upgrade" my V6 to 360 software?

The upgrade will auto apply itself after around 7 days, unless VM have changed this.

0 Kudos
Palexr
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Damn... Was hoping for a different answer to be honest.

0 Kudos
Gary06028
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not until they sort out this software mess 

0 Kudos
vfr
Up to speed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Did this come out of the blue or did you request that you would be switched over to TV360?

0 Kudos
Palexr
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I changed my package a few weeks ago, but not too any kind of oomph one. I then got an email asking if I wanted to upgrade to 360. That was out of the blue since I thought only the more expensive packages were getting them. However, I have to admit to pressing the"yes" button on the so-called upgrade button, something I'm starting to regret now.

Apparently the self starter kit is coming tomorrow. We shall see...

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sadly it looks as if you will now be downgraded to 360.  Hope you have watched any recordings. The only small chance of avoiding this would be to get through to someone on the phone who knows what they are doing (retentions?) and see if they can stop the change before it happens in the next few days. Once changed there is no going back..

0 Kudos
rcbroughton
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I also got the unsolicited "would you like to upgrade" email and went ahead.

The new remote arrived this morning and in the instructions said my V6 box would update in 5 days time.  And told me to watch all my recordings as they would not be preserved in the update.

I was straight onto them, as there had been nothing inthe fine print about that.  They confirmed I would lose all recrdings AND all series links.  So I told them to cancel the update.   There is no way I want a completely wiped box just so that I can have whatever whizz bang this 360 software will actually bring.

If the update still happens now that I have been on web chat to cancel it, Virgin will find themselves one customer fewer in a couple of weeks' time.

So - if you haven't yet had the S.W update it might be worth you getting onto them through the complaints process.

0 Kudos
DarrenjuggIns
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rcbroughton,

Your comment is a little unfair, the email you received made it clear that you would loose your recording and series links as it was a software upgrade, it was made clear in the email.

i suspect you received the same email as me.

I personally find the new interface easy to use and works fine for me.

I would give it a go, compared to Sky Q and TiVo it’s a much cleaner and easy to use up to date interface.

Regards

Darren

Palexr
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Quick update. Got the controller today and did the sw update. No issues and the remote and the sw are definite improvements over TiVo. So far I'm ok with it. Remains to be seen if stability and functionality live up to the promise.