Menu
Cmccabe1983
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Second box wired??

Evening all, So I've had a nightmare with VM over the past few months but I won't bore you all with the detail. As a result I decided to leave and have had the expected retentions call. To be fair, I was happy with what they have offered so have decided to stay. 

As part of the new offer, I'm getting 360, plus a second box. Im now awaiting an engineer appointment for the second box to be installed. I should have asked when I was on the phone but now looking on here it appears the second box will be a mini and from what I've read these are wireless? If this is the case, why does an engineer need to come and install it? 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Second box wired??

The mini box needs a coaxial connection to receive TV channels. All VM TV set top boxes work via cable and so need the coaxial connection. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Cmccabe1983
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok, Thanks! so the "Wireless" element refers to On Demand/Streaming services then as apposed to being connected to the hub via ethernet?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

Yes I'm afraid so. The wireless does relate to On Demand/streaming. Ethernet still gives the better connection and the box is also ethernet enabled.

It would be ideal if it was able to be moved from room to room without the coaxial being needed.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
roy247
Well-informed
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Mini box still needs a coax connection for live TV, network connection either by ethernet cable or WiFi is for on demand and catchup TV basically, so if you don't already have  a second Virgin connection point that is why you need an engineer. I am a bit unclear about  Virgins covid rules with engineer visits, they can visit for repairs but not for 'say' replacing a third box if it's an old TiVo box with a mini box if you already have 2 V6 boxes, but apparently from what I have read they can do new installs.

I keep seeing the local Sky installer being very busy.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

It would be ideal if it was able to be moved from room to room without the coaxial being needed.

You won't be geting this with any live broadcast TV services or packages, but watch this space 😉.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Well-informed
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@newapollo wrote:

You won't be geting this with any live broadcast TV services or packages, but watch this space 😉.

Maybe from Virgin but with Sky Q's mini you can, and I know it's not 4K.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

Are you hinting at this?  /Be-the-first-to-try-our-new-entertainment-service/ 

Dave

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@roy247 wrote:

I am a bit unclear about  Virgins covid rules with engineer visits, they can visit for repairs but not for 'say' replacing a third box if it's an old TiVo box with a mini box if you already have 2 V6 boxes, but apparently from what I have read they can do new installs.

VM are keeping to what is deemed "essential". At least that's the current general idea.

Single-box/single-room installs - continuing. Fault fixes - continuing.

Additional-room installs, non-essential internal cabling changes, multiroom installs all deemed non-essential and on-hold.

Edited to clarify: In the OP's case, the main box was installed under "single box" rules, but the multi-room mini box is classed as internal cabling and additional install, which isn't "necessary"

Sky aren't a cable operator, so aren't relilant on internal cabling runs for additional rooms. Wired will always be preferable to wireless, given a free choice on fixed installations.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

Are you hinting at this?  /Be-the-first-to-try-our-new-entertainment-service/ 

Yes. Bear in mind you have to be a Broadband only customer to try this. And there are further hints being dropped as to what may happen in the future:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/The-Gamer-Lounge/FTTC-to-FTTP/m-p/4699942/highlight/true#M2407 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993