cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung TV not waking up with TV360

g0akc
Problem sorter

Our Samsung TV, model QE55QN95B (QN 95B, 2022 model) will often refuse to turn on from standby in the morning.   It's as if it's gone into a deep sleep.  Once it's in that state, the only way to get it to come on I've found is to turn it off/back on at the mains.  It then goes through a 'cold boot' sequence. It occurs once a week or so, but has been every morning at times.

• When in this state, It doesn't respond to any of the remote controls - the RF one paired to it, infra red remote or the Virgin remote that is linked to it.
  • If we put the TV on standby during the day and turn it on minutes or a few hours later it's fine and comes on okay - only seems to occur if the TV is left on standby for a longer time, such as overnight.
  • It seemed to happen, or occur more often, when we upgraded our VM box from V6 to TV360.
  • Sometimes there's been a small red light at the remote sensor.  There's a small button there but pressing it doesn't turn the TV on when it's in the 'faulty' state.
  • I've tried with the TV360 set with the 'One Power' set on and off (when enabled it sends a signal via HDMI to turn the TV on so you only have to hit one button to turn both VM box and TV) - it usually works as expected but won't wake the TV from the faulty state.  It did seem better at first with this enabled but then started to play up more frequently.
  • There was apparently a firmware update to the TV just before Christmas which seems to have made matters worse - Samsung support say such updates are never to fix bugs as there aren't any in their TVs - only for feature enhancements!
  • I've tried with different 'auto power off' settings on both the TV and the TV360 - made no apparent difference.
  • I've started trying it with the TV360 box disconnected overnight, this is a pain as the TV  goes through a set up process each time an HDMI device is plugged in, trying to recognise the box and the provider each time.
  • I've already moved the power plug to make it more accessible, but it's still awkward round the back of the TV unit.  I know many have taken to turning the TV off overnight anyway, though it's not easy to access as TV in on a stand unit in a corner of the room and sockets are behind it.  I might fit a smart plug so I can power cycle the TV remotely but this is just a workaround.
  • This TV has a separate 'One Connect' box with all the connections going to that and only a single cable going to the TV/panel.
  • I've also raised this on the Samsung forums.

Samsung are supposed to be arranging for a service technician to visit, but it seems unlikely that the fault will show itself when they come (of course it won't).  Fingers crossed it does, and if so I'll leave it for them to see.

It's our third Samsung TV in three years, two including this one being warranty replacements for different models.  The screen failed beyond repair on the first one after less than two years, the second one shut down when using BBC iPlayer, Now this, which also has a vibrating speaker/back cover.  Not cheap either!  I'd think twice before buying Samsung again.

Has anyone else experieinced this, or anything similar?  Any ideas or suggestions?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
11 REPLIES 11

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi g0akc, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

It does appear that the TV is faulty. 

Can you confirm if this is via wired or Wi-Fi connection? Does this happen when using both? 

Can you confirm if you get the same issue with a different HDMI slot? 

Kind regards Chris 

Swf
Fibre optic

In the settings there's a diagnostics just running it and it should fix itself and also will finish updating if there's any issues with the update

@Chris_W1 wrote:

Hi g0akc, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

It does appear that the TV is faulty. 

Can you confirm if this is via wired or Wi-Fi connection? Does this happen when using both? 

Can you confirm if you get the same issue with a different HDMI slot? 

Kind regards Chris 

Wired.  Prefer not to use WiFi but believe same with wired/wireless.

I believe it occurs with other HDMI inputs but I will be checking others.  The input being used for the TV360 does have eARC if that makes any difference.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Swf wrote:

In the settings there's a diagnostics just running it and it should fix itself and also will finish updating if there's any issues with the update

Which diagnostic is it?  I’ve looked at some of the self diagnosis options but nothing evident. No issue found.

The TV has been doing this for weeks - an update still running?

thanks 

g0akc
Problem sorter

The TV refused to wake up again this morning.  It only woke after a power cycle.

I've now swapped the HDMI connections around so the TV360 box is on HDMI 1.  I will see if that makes any difference.

I did notice whilst making the cabling changes that the (Samsung) USB hard drive I hard connected to the TV might be an issue so that has been disconnected.

The Samsung area repair agents have now been in touch and are supposed to be coming next week - I'm not sure what they will be able to do but at least I can speak directly to a technician who may have some knowledge of this.

It was a real pain having to go through the Samsung 'TV Setup' process again because cables were moved - the TV thought the TV360 Box, and our main provider, was now Sky rather than Virgin Media with the proper icon.  Also the Samsung remote no longer controls the Virgin 360 (it's okay the other way round).  I've seen on different forums that I need to choose Pace DCR7111 rather than the Arris DCX960 setting.

Thanks for the update @g0akc

Has there been a difference since swapping the HDMI?

Hopefully Samsung can help get things resolved when they come out- we are limited on what support we can offer when it comes to third party equipment.

Keep us posted!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Ayisha_B wrote:

Thanks for the update @g0akc

Has there been a difference since swapping the HDMI?

Hopefully Samsung can help get things resolved when they come out- we are limited on what support we can offer when it comes to third party equipment.

Keep us posted!

Swapping the HDMI cable around didn't seem to make any difference, although the work to do so, connection box out and so on, seemed to make matters worse until it settled down.

The Samsung repair agent has just been - they suspect it's a problem with a board inside the TV so they are ordering a spare that they will fit in a couple of weeks time.  Of course, the fault didn't actually show when they were here.  We will see how it goes.

I appreciate it's apparently a third party issue - but this seemed to start happening around the same time that we moved from V6 to TV360, but that may have been a co-incidence.

The repair agent also made a change to the audio settings (a service/engineering option) to hopefully stop the speaker rattling.

When I was looking at new TV's I thought I'd for for the QN95B but I saw lots of comments about freezes etc when the source was HDMI through the one connect box. I went with the QN90B just for this reason.
I hope you get it sorted.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NTL/VM since '96. Don't want to add up the cost

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update g0akc

Do pop back up on the thread when the repair agent has been.

Regards,

Kain