cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renovation

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got 360 with 3 TV set top boxes all daisy chained in series

About to totally gut and renovate the property pretty much moving every device location 

Want to run co ax and network cable from a central point- router - hiding the wires in the wall prior to plastering 

Question 

1. What type of co ax do i need? Engineer wouldn't sell me a reel!

2. Whilst I'm carrying out the work i want to do a temporary install of the router and at least one of the boxes. Is it as simple as snipping the wire before the first device and putting an F plug and bingo?

Would maybe an engineer DM me?

Liverpool based 

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

Got 360 with 3 TV set top boxes all daisy chained in series

About to totally gut and renovate the property pretty much moving every device location 

Want to run co ax and network cable from a central point- router - hiding the wires in the wall prior to plastering 

Question 

1. What type of co ax do i need? Engineer wouldn't sell me a reel!

It’s specifically made for Virgin. You can’t buy it. Install pull ropes anywhere you need it installed.

2. Whilst I'm carrying out the work i want to do a temporary install of the router and at least one of the boxes. Is it as simple as snipping the wire before the first device and putting an F plug and bingo?

Not as simple as that. Any changes to the network cabling affect your signal levels. These then require adjustment in the street cabinet outside. Taking two boxes & a splitter out of the loop is a significant change to the loading. It is also important that any alterations are “watertight”, as Freeview TV, DAB Radio & 4/5 G Moblie phones use the same frequencies used by Virgin services. If these leak back to the cabinet via DIY alterations they can disrupt the entire network segment served by that cabinet.

Would maybe an engineer DM me?

Liverpool based 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Daveg771,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, as advised by nodrogd you will be unable to get the cabling we use and it is not advised to cut our cabling as this can potentially cause issues such as SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) which could affect everyone in the area.

We can arrange a callout which is a one off £25 for relocation of the Router and boxes, if enough cabling is then left you will be able to bury it at that point, I will be more than happy to arrange this for you .

Regards

Paul.

Routing the coaxial cable from its entry point to an internal termination box (ITB) in a comms cupboard is an excellent idea, make sure that you have a dual 13A socket there. All internal coax for the hub and TV boxes must connect to the ITB. Run pull ropes for the coaxial cables behind the walls. You will need Ethernet cables from the hub to the TV boxes, best terminated at RJ45 wall sockets in each room, get these installed in advance of attendance of the VM tech.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection