cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote unpairing from TV

JCS2
Tuning in

Hi, I’m constantly having to repair my remote to my TV to operate the volume etc

I have a Hisense TV and everything works fine when I pair it as such, but it automatically wants to pair a s a Vizio, and every time I turn on the TV it’s ‘automatically’ paired as a vizio, which doesn’t let me control the volume etc

anyone else having this problem? It’s only started happening recently

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi JCS2,

Is your box on ECO start?

A previous poster had the same issues and suggested a workaround.

Try changing the 'Standby power consumption' under 'Settings' > 'System' to Fast start. See if that makes a difference.

Active start or the eco setting may actually cause the box to forget remote programmes

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi

Unfortunately that didn’t work. Still having the same issue with the box set to fast start

thanks for the suggestion

roy247
Community elder

@JCS2 wrote:

Hi, I’m constantly having to repair my remote to my TV to operate the volume etc

I have a Hisense TV and everything works fine when I pair it as such, but it automatically wants to pair a s a Vizio, and every time I turn on the TV it’s ‘automatically’ paired as a vizio, which doesn’t let me control the volume etc

anyone else having this problem? It’s only started happening recently

Not that it helps you but the Hisense to Vizio has come up more than once, so a search of Vizio may help to see if anyone actually resolved the problem. I have intermittent problems with my mini box connected to a Sony TV and Yamaha soundbar some days it works when first turned on and then after about a minute it tells me it can control my yamaha's sound, volume on remote now doesn't work, check in settings and it's already paired, need to repair and then it's ok, sometimes need to do the same the next day other times it's ok for several day's. Don't remember having this problem originally but definitely since 4.31. Other TV and soundbar ok.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JCS2

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am really sorry to hear you are having this issue. I have consulted with a colleague regarding this and we would like to send you a replacement remote first and foremost to see if this fixes the issue for you. 

Will pop you a PM now so we can take some details and get this ordered.

Cheers

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

FlyingZebra
Tuning in

I can confirm I am having this issue as well. My TV is also Hisense and whenever I turn it on it appears to change the remote pairing to a Vizio TV, therefore stopping the volume/on/off/mute/input/etc buttons from working.

I spoke with T2 telephone support who have sent out a new remote but I am unsure if this is likely to resolve the issue as it appears to be changing the setting via the box itself rather than via the remote (as it pops up with the notification in the top-right). To resolve the issue, every time I start the TV up I have to manually enter the brand and model number - not exactly quick as TV model numbers aren't known for their brevity...

To speculate (for engineers etc in case somebody can pick this up), I think the box may be trying to be too clever and trying to pick up the TV information from the cable (HDMI-CEC?). An easy fix would be to ensure that any manually entered model numbers override any detected information (or add an option to 'lock' the config in place). This would mean that you could manually program the model number in and even if the TV picks up something different from the cables, it would not override it, resolving the issue.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi FlyingZebra,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've had some issues with your remote. 

I can see that JCS2 seems to have found a work around, have you had a look at the latest update on that thread? 

You can find it here

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex

I have tried this and will report back but this is sub-optimal at best as it requires disabling CEC for the whole TV. Therefore other devices (e.g. Xbox, Apple TV), that work correctly with CEC will no longer work at all, breaking my setup in a number of ways as it will prevent those other devices from communicating with the TV.

I believe JCS2 also refers to the fact that this breaks the 'Input' changer feature, which stops the Virgin remote being able to replace the original TV remote.

So I think theoretically it may work, and I will report back with the practical outcome, but it seems to be more by the way of disabling the feature entirely for all devices connected to the TV (a nuclear option), rather than actually fixing the bug in question.

Hopefully we can get a solution to allow CEC to work correctly as it is a very valuable feature and works perfectly on other devices, and in many ways, with the Virgin 360 box.

Thanks,

So coming back on this one - whilst disabling CEC does stop the Virgin box from unpairing, it also breaks the rest of my setup as expected (Apple Watch/Xbox works fine). So I have had to turn it back on for now.

Can one of the Virgin staff please pick this up to try and create a proper solution here?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @FlyingZebra

At the moment all we are able to do is feed this back to our TV team for them to look into further. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M