Menu
wattsy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Recordings

Hi. I'm very new to the 360 having only upgraded from my 2 V6 boxes a couple of days ago. The new interface is much fresher and better to look at but it feels like I've lost some functionality.

Like, for example, if I wanted to record "Time" from BBC1 which ended yesterday, the old V6 box would allow e to explore episodes from iPlayer and add them to my EPG but I can't seem to do this anymore. I need to go hunting in iPlayer and watch independently of the EPG.

Also, I can't see how to make it record just new episodes of a series. So if I create a series link (or whatever it's called on 360) for a regularly recurring program, it seems to record not just the episode every Tuesday at 7pm (for example) but also anther version that's aired at 3am on another day of the week. 

Maybe it's just a question of getting used to the new interface but it feels like I've gained in terms of the UI but lost in terms of usability?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recordings

@wattsy wrote:

Like, for example, if I wanted to record "Time" from BBC1 which ended yesterday, the old V6 box would allow e to explore episodes from iPlayer and add them to my EPG but I can't seem to do this anymore. I need to go hunting in iPlayer and watch independently of the EPG.

For starters you can't record a programme that has finished. BUT.. if you mean the ability to set recordings of programmes that aren't due for broadcast, then you're right.

TiVo software has the ability to set a series link from any programme that's in the EPG somewhere - usually meaning an OnDemand/streaming episode. 360 needs to have that programme in a broadcast schedule somewhere.

You might also be referring to VoD bookmarks. TiVo lets you "add" a bookmark to any VoD/streaming asset to your "my shows", you can then watch this as if it were recorded, directly from "My shows". I use a V6, but my understanding is that 360 lets you add VoD programmes to your "watchlist" which has a very similar end result - although this only works for programmes on VM's VoD platform. If the programme is on an external streaming platform, this method doesn't work. This is as much due to changes imposed by those streaming platforms and is unlikely to ever work the same way.

@wattsy wrote:

Also, I can't see how to make it record just new episodes of a series. So if I create a series link (or whatever it's called on 360) for a regularly recurring program, it seems to record not just the episode every Tuesday at 7pm (for example) but also anther version that's aired at 3am on another day of the week. 

I can't quite fathom the scenario you're talking about, but it's certainly fair to say TiVo-software's SL functionality is incredibly powerful and feature-rich, 360's is currently quite basic in comparison.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately the very easy to use " New Only " option is not available on the 360, you need to go to advanced options when setting your series links if you haven't already done so. Just watch out for repeat recordings.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@wattsy @japitts 

You can use the TV 360 Watchlist function to add all three episodes, like the Bookmark function on V6.

Go into the Guide and find yesterday’s episode of Time.

Press OK then choose ADD TO WATCHLIST.

When you then access Watchlist (in Saved), you will see an entry for Time with the ‘on demand’ icon.

Select this entry and it will allow you to watch yesterday’s episode 3 but choosing ALL EPISODES gives access to all three episodes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

…or, for the ‘modern’ approach, using voice search:

Press voice button

say Search Time

Page down to entry for episode 1

….. as before.

@wattsy @japitts 

wattsy
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah - many thanka for this! Really helpful.
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Some great advice in this post. Don't forget you can also find some helpful tips for TV 360 here:  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos