cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording when no internet

ollie-88
Joining in

Hi, i have recently upgraded with a TV 360 box (last couple of months).

Currently my internet is down and TV channels are falling to load so I thought I would catch-up with some recordings but when I try to watch recorded TV shows I get an error saying "we've found a connection problem, your hub isn't connected to the internet which means many of your virgin TV box features won't be working correctly".

Why is a internet connection needed to watching recordings on the hard drive... Previously I was on a TiVo box never had a problem playing recordings during internet outages.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

V360 runs on Horizon, which is server driven platform designed for cloud based recording. The broadcasters here will not allow recordings to be stored in the cloud, so VM have had to modify the firmware so that the Horizon server locks onto your hard drive as the recording location. The master list of recordings resides on the server, & when you play back the server streams those recordings from your hard drive to whichever device requests it. So if your box cannot connect with the server nothing will play.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

V360 runs on Horizon, which is server driven platform designed for cloud based recording. The broadcasters here will not allow recordings to be stored in the cloud, so VM have had to modify the firmware so that the Horizon server locks onto your hard drive as the recording location. The master list of recordings resides on the server, & when you play back the server streams those recordings from your hard drive to whichever device requests it. So if your box cannot connect with the server nothing will play.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank for the detailed explanation it makes sense but boy does it suck, and not something that is advertised. I always found I was able to reduce the blow of virgin being down by watching recordings. I wish I had just stuck with the TiVo box 😞

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ollie-88 wrote:

Thank for the detailed explanation it makes sense but boy does it suck, and not something that is advertised. I always found I was able to reduce the blow of virgin being down by watching recordings. I wish I had just stuck with the TiVo box 😞

Sadly TiVOs days are numbered. Virgin's parent company, who developed Horizon for use in all the European countries they operate in, are imposing it on us as well.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Although until VM decide otherwise, conversions from TiVo/V6 to TV360 do remain entirely voluntary.

NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic

Another reason not to get 360.