Menu
markw1984
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Recording from the mini box

I've just upgraded from the V6 boxes to a 360 main box and a mini box. So far I like the OS, but what I'm not liking is that the mini box keeps reminding me there is no hard drive in it and you also can't select a programme to record, I would expect this to record to the main box.

Also the inability to adjust the series link settings is madness.

Are there plans to address these issues soon? If so what's the ETA?

Missing the ability to record upstairs so I'm going to have to ring VM to see if I can get an additional main box as per my contract.

Cheers

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recording from the mini box

I can set recordings on my mini, maybe you account isn't set up properly

0 Kudos
markw1984
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What power settings do you have the main box set to? Active Start, do I need it on Fast Start for it to be able to communicate?

Everytime I click record on the mini box it pops up with the message saying there is no hard drive... and when I look at my recordings I can't see my planned recordings from the mini box like I can from the main box... so it would seem they aren't communicating but everything else seems to be linked, like my watch list, profile etc

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To test put both boxes on Fast Start and reboot them, then try and record a short program from the mini and check it on the main 360

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
markw1984
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I've set both boxes to Fast Startup and rebooted them, but still from the mini box if I press the record button it says there is no hard drive and if I try to browse by Recordings it says the same... the only way I could get it to play a recording from the downstairs box was from the previously viewed thumbnails when you highlight the Saved option.

Something doesn't seem right... I feel these mini boxes are a waste and a signal sending would be of more use.

The only other option i can think to try is the Factory Reset option (which isn't actually a factory reset) and see if that solves the issue.

Anyone got any other ideas?

0 Kudos
roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Is the mini box hard wired to the internet or wifi, if it is wifi what's the signal strength like as that is how it connects to the main box.

0 Kudos
markw1984
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The mini box is connected via WiFi and the signal strength is coming back as Good for 4K, have no issues streaming any content.

The main box is hard wired, so whether that could be an issue and they are not correctly talking to each other. I'll try changing the Main Box to WiFi and see if that makes any difference. Then I'll try Factory Reset on them both and failing that I'm out of ideas and will have to cal VM Customer Support.

0 Kudos
markw1984
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well that solved it, I now believe it was the mini box being connected to my Wifi Mesh network which goes through the main Virgin router but means I can get 100% through the house as the Virgin router signal is quite poor.

So removed the hard wired connection to the main box, connected to the Wifi Mesh network (Deco) and now the mini box can see the records and record programs. Happy days.

Now to just sort out the series link settings and live pause length on the mini box and alls good 😉

Thanks for all the help and replies, have a good day.

Cheers

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi again markw1984,

Thanks for the update. It's great to see you solved the connectivity between the boxes.

Mini boxes will only pause for a max of around two and a half minutes. Unfortunately you need to press record if you want to pause for more than a few minutes. The main box however buffers for around 3 hours.

The series link is being looked into by VM and will hopefully sorted in a future update.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos