cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Installing 360 mini box

geoffrogers
On our wavelength

I have a similar problem.

I have just updated a V6 box to TV360 - and it works perfectly.  It was a rigmarole getting the update sorted but all is good.

The problem is I also have a mini box which was working prior to the update of the main V6 box but this doesn't have a cable connection, just an ethernet connection.  The engineer said that would be ok if I only wanted to stream and watch catchup.

However, once the new V6 box was activated and working with TV360, I got loads of errors on the mini box and did a factory reset to try and fix it.

On coming up it now comes up 

Account Error CS1011

We're unable to retrieve your account details. Please contact us.

Is there anything I can do before contacting them.  I have a feeling they may suggest I need a cable connection to the box as well as ethernet and this just isn't feasible given the location of the box. Something the engineer told me would not be a problem.

So Any Ideas please.   Getting to this stage I've spent many days (yes literally days!) on their whatsapp and chat and three separate calls to 150 so I'd like to avoid any more if possible and if not to have what I need in place before I speak to them again.

5 REPLIES 5

roy247
Community elder

Try connecting the mini box to the main boxes coax cable and see if starts working, if it does you can then swap them back.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@geoffrogers wrote:

The problem is I also have a mini box which was working prior to the update of the main V6 box but this doesn't have a cable connection, just an ethernet connection.  The engineer said that would be ok if I only wanted to stream and watch catchup.and this just isn't feasible given the location of the box. Something the engineer told me would not be a problem.

If you had a multiroom box prior to converting to TV360, then it would have been a V6 - and would have converted to a TV360 master.

Miniboxes don't exist in V6-land, they're just extra V6.

The connectivity requirements are identical for V6, TV360 master & TV360 mini - co-ax for live TV, internet for OnDemand & streaming. The only difference is that minis don't have HDD's so rely on a master for recording.

The long-term solution here would be an additional co-ax connection point, you could try connecting the second box to another co-ax point temporarily as a workaround - but VM's TV boxes are designed to have a co-ax connection 24/7/365.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I never had 2 boxes before.  I had an update to TV360 which was supposed to go live several weeks ago but they cocked up the order and I was left with a V6 box on Tivo,  a TV360 control and a new second TV360 mini box which worked as a streamer but was not plumbed in to coax.

I then chased it up and finally got an upgrade to the V6 box to TV360 which is working perfectly, very happy with that.

The minibox then stopped connecting to anything and despite several reboots and waits still came up but wouldn't connect to any streaming service.

So I did a factory reset on it - and that resulted in the account error in the post here.  Just clarifying the situation and answering the questions from contributors.

The latest is that I connected it up to the coax and net in place of the main box and tried to reboot it and I still got the account error.

So now what?  I suppose I could put a splitter in around the main box and connect the mini box permanently and wait for an update from VM.  Or do that and jump through hoops in the hope that they can fix it.  Any recommendations for splitters that would work well inline?

Looks like you will have to call Virgin for a manned installation which should be free as it was part of the upgrade, or wait for the forum team to pick this up which might be 2 to 3 day's.  You said in your first post that a cable connection wasn't " feasible ", was this for the coax, ethernet or both and was it the engineer who said that.

The engineer will need to make any alterations to the coax as this is part of the Virgin network and diy work could cause a problem to the network and other users.

Also looks like the box hasn't been activated correctly on your account since you upgraded the main box to 360.

Thanks again for your reply.

I didn't want another hole drilled anywhere in the house as it wasn't clear that this would be necessary for the second box to work. This was discussed in these forums.  I was happy to just use it for streaming content and getting stuff off the main box.

I see their latest product - Virgin Stream - does almost all of that (apart from content on the main box) and the menus all look very similar.  It looks to me as the technology is there for it to happen but it hasn't been enabled.  In an ideal world I'd just have the stream box upstairs and the main box on the TV downstairs both on the same account.  But of course they don't offer this at present though it must be on the cards.  It's very odd how Sky Q works with a second box in another room but doesn't need a separate satellite connection.  VM do need get their act together else I will be probably dumping them for Sky again at the end of the contract.

As it stands I'm thinking that just returning the second box would be a good idea as it's proving a major pain in the backside for a very small gain.

Thank you as always all on here for their very helpful replies.