cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Box not playing recordings

crazygoog
Dialled in

Sorry to hijack someone else's thread, but this is also happening to me too on both my 360 mini boxes. I've rebooted too all boxes, factory reset them too (but kept the recordings).

Please help, as having my recordings playable on the other 2 boxes is a big reason why I wanted these boxes in the first place, more than live TV.

20 REPLIES 20

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @crazygoog 

What error messages do you see displayed when trying to watch recordings on your mini boxes?

Is the main box switched on when you are trying to watch recordings on the other boxes?

It either needs to be switched on, or in standby.

Go to Settings > System > Standby power consumption. You have 3 choices.
Fast start  - the 360 starts quickly but is less energy efficient
Active start - more energy efficient than fast start but the box takes a little longer to start up
Eco start - the most energy efficient and probably the one you're using. It uses minimal power but takes a while to start.

The first two options are best if you have a mini box and want to watch a recording on it

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@crazygoog wrote:

this is also happening to me too on both my 360 mini boxes

What is happening to you on your 360minis? My post has crossed with newapollo's, but your post has been moved to a new thread so we don't know.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I did put all my boxes in eco to try and save a few pence on the bills. Wish I'd not bothered now. Unsure if that is when the problems started or not though. I have since reverted all boxes back to active start, but still no joy. The main box though no longer shows a power light on the box, just as though it's in eco mode. If I turn the box off and then on again, the light behaves as it should. But then after a while it goes off. As I say, I've tried factory reset but to no avail.

The error comes up in the mini boxes when attempting to play a recording and it say Oops, we couldn't connect to Virgin TV 360. Please try again. Or something along those lines.

Try with the main box on, if that works set it to fast start and then put it in standby to see if everything still works.

It should work with the main box set to fast start or active start, active start being more economical than fast start.

Thank you, I'll try that a bit later. I'm watching something now on the firestick, but before I did I set box to fast start, then turned the box off. Since I turned it back on 20 minutes or so ago, the red light has stayed on this time. Not sure how long that will last, but I really hope it's worked. Will message again later when tried. Thanks for helping, I appreciate it 

Let's hope it's all good. 🤞

Nope, still not playing ball unfortunately. Run Diagnostics on main box and one of the other mini's. The main one, all is good. The mini however all good apart from signal quality says not available. I dont understand how I can watch TV, set recordings, delete recordings etc which all come through the same cable I assume, but for some reason it won't play recordings on either mini box. 

@crazygoog wrote:

Nope, still not playing ball unfortunately. Run Diagnostics on main box and one of the other mini's. The main one, all is good. The mini however all good apart from signal quality says not available. I dont understand how I can watch TV, set recordings, delete recordings etc which all come through the same cable I assume, but for some reason it won't play recordings on either mini box. 

Live TV comes through the white Virgin coax cable which everybox needs and everything else is either by ethernet cable or wifi, so when you run diagnostics and scroll to the bottom of the screen what is the connection speed.

Did you try watching a recording on a mini box with the main box on to see if that work's.

Ah, I didn't notice the speed but I imagine it was good as the connection speed was good.

• Yes I tried that with the box on, no avail though. The diagnostics on the website seem to indicate a problem with one box, but not the other 2 which is odd. It says they need to send an engineer but I'm loathe to do that just now, especially at this time of year. Will try disconnecting everything and reconnecting over Christmas, and if that doesn't work it looks like an engineer coming is the only option. Glad you cleared that up though about what does actually come through the cable. I will also look at connection speeds when I get home from work this evening. Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.