cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random numbers on screen when watching sky sports

SWC
Just joined

New to Virgin media and was wondering if anyone can explain why when I'm watching Sky Sports, a random 12 digit number keeps appearing at the top of the screen?

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is a security measure used by Sky Sports to protect against improper streaming of residential accounts in large venues such as pubs and clubs.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply. Knowing what Sky are like, it's also probably to annoy people in the hope they'll go back to them!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SWC wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Knowing what Sky are like, it's also probably to annoy people in the hope they'll go back to them!

I'd love to agree with that, but Sky themselves randomly show the numbers on their sports channels, and also have the 'beer glass' symbol on screen in pubs for the same reason.

I've also seen the numbers on screen when watching BT Sports, although BT say 'Customers with BT Sport on Sky channels or Sky Sports Main Event may notice a number appearing at the top right-hand side of their screen, For BT Sport on Sky customers this is a nine-digit number. For Sky Sports Main Event this could be a small code such as "MHKXaMSdSH" or a code that's 23 characters long. These are all just 'Validation Codes' to check you're receiving the correct channel. You don't need to do anything. The times this will appear on-screen will vary across different programmes and channels."

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Oxo29
Dialled in

As above and I'd say not random. Same every time. Was when I was with Sky - it's unique to you - your account. So don't stream it!

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello SWC

Thanks for posting in regards to the Sky Sports channel, the numbers and the confusion caused. We appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

As already advised, this is a safeguard implemented by Sky across its sports channels to ensure residential accounts aren't used in larger venues such as pubs or clubs. This is also shown on the Sky service.

Rob