Menu
Chocofenix
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Profiles and recordings question

Hey guys

just ordered and awaiting delivery, may I confirm please, are recordings able to be split by profile, and would you be able to limit the maximum number of hours a profile can record for?

thanks!

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Profiles and recordings question

I think recordings are shown across profiles, Virgin Media guys correct me if i am wrong. You can't restrict the amount of hours you can record all profiles can record till you run out of storage on all your boxes.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello

When you make recordings doesn't matter on which profile you do them they will be accessible on other profiles, "Profiles – families can now create their own profiles so that they can control their own pause points, select their favourite channels and receive personalised recommendations."

Taken from https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-launches-new-tv-platf...

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lennyv
Up to speed
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

When you make recordings doesn't matter on which profile you do them they will be accessible on other profiles

An important point on this is that (unless the software changed in 4.28) if one profile deletes a recording it is deleted for everyone.

0 Kudos
roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Recordings are saved in one public folder with access by anyone to save or delete programs, the only thing the profile's allow you to do is have different pause points on programs in that saved folder. Every profile would need it's own saved folder if you wanted to stop someone else deleting a recording you had made or you make one person an administrator to record and delete everything.

Sorry about the PC analogies.

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I think it would make more sense to have recordings linked to a profile and have the shared profile to have access to all. Allow the shared profile and the profile that recorded it access to delete it

G4DDS
Well-informed
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I would not want to see all the random programmes and stuff that my folks record and they would probably not want to see mine either. A profile should only show your own recordings. The box should be clever enough that if more than one profile records the same programme then it should only record it once but from the perspective of the two profiles each one would have their own recording. Both can then individually delete it from their profile but only when both profiles have deleted it would the actual recording be deleted (the first profile to delete it would see it disappear as normal though). Perhaps the whole profile thing needs a rethink.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Oomph bundle
Equipment: 3 x V6, Super Hub 3
Chocofenix
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Feel like i've really started something now 🤣 but yeah i agree they should be separated

TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I agree too would be better use of the profiles and makes perfect sense to have recordings tied to profiles

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

A hurdle to overcome is that once you start doing recordings per profile the logic required would get quite complex. Off the top of my head you'd need to resolve are questions like this:

What would the logic need to be if two people have several things recording at once? Six tuners wouldn't cover everything in larger households - especially once Mini boxes are added and you factor in watching live TV.
How is priority of recordings decided, and how do you avoid other profiles from cancelling each other's planned recordings by setting conflicting ones?
What happens if two different profiles want to record the same thing?
How would the box deal with changes in the guide?
What happens when the box runs out of free space?

As far as I know there aren't any hard-disk based PVRs that do profile based recording, so I don't know if anyone has worked out how to do any of the above reliably.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own