Menu
Pelez
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Press Blue for HD on TV 360

One of the features I really loved on the V6 was the Press Blue button for HD. I noticed this doesn't work on TV 360. Does anybody know if there's any way to still quickly switch to the HD version of a channel? 

0 Kudos
Royalbeech
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Press Blue for HD on TV 360

The way I see it, there are no SD channels where there are HD, only BBC 1 and C4 still have SD as well as HD due to something to do with regional variation??

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

On the 360, if you have the HD version of a channel, it replaces the SD version in the EPG. I suspect BBC1 is an exception because of the regional variations.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pelez
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wow yeah you're right, I never noticed. Looks like BBC One and Channel 4 are two exceptions. The regional variations thing make sense for BBC at least.
Swf
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I think it's the local news versions available.   So bbc 1 HD. And then BBC 1 London.   It's not good as the BBC can do all in HD  bbc1 London in HD BBC 1 north HD and so on.  ITV  has it worked out in HD  so BBC could 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Swf wrote:

Yeah I think it's the local news versions available.   So bbc 1 HD. And then BBC 1 London.   It's not good as the BBC can do all in HD  bbc1 London in HD BBC 1 north HD and so on.  ITV  has it worked out in HD  so BBC could 

If you're trying to say that the BBC has HD in all the English regions, that's not true. They don't. Plans to, but not currently. I hope @nodrogd won't mind me bringing them in here and I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm fairly sure "BBC 1 England HD" is just BBC 1 London HD.

Some other regions may be HD-capable, but not all are.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Swf
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah Your wrong.  When the news comes on BBC 1 HD.  It goes to a red screen and tells you to go to your locks bbc ch to see the news.  Ie if I want to see BBC news I can't in HD.   I have to go to BBC 1 London. 

I'd yesterday but I didn't upgrade intill today. So if your correct I'd be happy but I doubt it  will test on Monday 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Swf wrote:

Yeah Your wrong.  When the news comes on BBC 1 HD.  It goes to a red screen and tells you to go to your locks bbc ch to see the news.  Ie if I want to see BBC news I can't in HD.   I have to go to BBC 1 London. 

Exactly - just to reiterate my previous point and possibly clear up some confusion.

The BBC English regions are not available in HD. There is a "BBC1 England" which (IIRC) is BBC1 London networked across all regions. BBC1 in Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland are supported in HD, but the English regions are currently only in SD.

There are plans afoot to rectify this, which I'm sure nodrogd is a lot more familiar with.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BBC1 HD has 4 national versions. England, Scotland, Wales & NI. Of these only the English version does not carry any regular local/regional news programmes at all, the others do. So only English viewers see the red slate when local news is on. In the past some of the occasional weekly programmes with local content would appear, but these would be rotated through the regions from one week to the next. So you would get the programme from London the first week, then South East the next, then South West & so on.

I would also point out that HD switchover on ITV1 has only happened on Satellite & Cable. If you rely on Freeview terrestrial TV you are still stuck with watching your local ITV news in SD in a lot of areas, as the HD mux on Freeview is run (& funded) by the BBC. So these viewers will not see any changes on either channel until (if ever) the BBC switches over to regional HD in England.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos