cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On/off lights no longer work on TV box

colin63
Joining in

Just spent an hour on the phone and all I got was to be told I would be charged £25 to fix a fault with your TV box. The TV box works fine but the on/off indicator light on the front no longer works so I don't know whether the box is on or off unless I turn on the TV. The impression I got on the phone is the boxes don't go wrong which is obviously not the case. They did all the checks while I was on the phone and couldn't find a fault. These checks are never going to find the fault which I have. I don't know whether it makes a difference or not but the firmware was recently updated. I am a pensioner and cannot afford to waste electricity by not knowing whether the box is on or off and I am certainly not going to pay somebody £25. I have been with Virgin media for well over 30 years and when things go wrong it's always a hassle if it doesn't fit into some pre-programmed software fault. Why is Virgin Media's customer service always so awful?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

Hi colin63,

Was the upgrade from V6 to 360 or just the last 360 version update from 4.43 to 4.44.

It has been reported before that the light has stopped working after an update and then has started working again after another update.

Another possible cause can be if the box is set to Eco start, if it is then try setting it to fast start to see if it makes any difference, the best setting taking the cost of electricity and making sure your box gets all it's regular updates is active start.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like you've experienced the wonders of a confused, misinformed or otherwise "not sure" offshore faults agent.

You might get the correct answer if you callback and speak to someone else.

The £25 charge is for non-fault appointments or where the fault is caused by misuse etc. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

colin63
Joining in

I just cannot face ringing them again - I just end up feeling really upset that they can treat you so badly.

roy247
Community elder

Hi colin63,

Was the upgrade from V6 to 360 or just the last 360 version update from 4.43 to 4.44.

It has been reported before that the light has stopped working after an update and then has started working again after another update.

Another possible cause can be if the box is set to Eco start, if it is then try setting it to fast start to see if it makes any difference, the best setting taking the cost of electricity and making sure your box gets all it's regular updates is active start.

colin63
Joining in

It was an upgrade from V6 to 360 and it is running 4.43.

It was set to Fast so I changed it to Eco, unplugged the box and left it for 30 mins.

I then plugged it back in leaving it on Eco and now have lights.

Virgin should be aware of this and not put me through what I went through today.

I haven't tried switching it back to Fast as my wife is fed up with me messing with TV.

If you would like me to do this for your research let me know.

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to help me.

roy247
Community elder

I would set it to active start then the 360 will receive updates to the TV guide and any updates Virgin send to the 360 overnight, it doesn't use much more electricity than eco start but starts up quicker as it doesn't have to do the updates when you switch on, also if you use the TVGO app it needs the 360 to be in either fast start or active start when in standby it's also the same if you have a mini box.

I have seen user's say the light goes off when set to Eco start.