Menu
jamesharvey94
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On Demand/Catch Up program search

Can anyone tell me why Sky manage to list all available shows quite capably outside of the dedicated channel app, yet Virgin seem to struggle so much?

Take Line of Duty. A simple search on Sky Q takes you a page listing all episodes for all 6 seasons, available to watch without touching the iPlayer app. When I do the same thing on my 360 box, I get the odd episode from 2 seasons. If I want to find all of the episodes I have to go into the iPlayer app.

Surely it isn't that difficult?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Demand/Catch Up program search

The iPlayer serves 2 purposes.

1: It's the BBC's CatchUp service for recently broadcast programmes - this is certainly integrated into the TiVo/V6 EPG and I'm fairly sure the same is true of the V360 (but I don't have V360 so don't quote me on that)

2: It's a box-set streaming app in exactly the same way as other broadcasters have their own apps - these may not be integrated into the EPG.

Line of Duty S1-S5 will fall under category 2. The current series, which are only being made available after broadcast, will be category 1.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jamesharvey94
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. My point being that the integration is incredibly poor on the Virgin box, to the point of being unusable as a first port of call to find any historical program...

I struggle to understand why Sky are capable of integrating the box sets from all channels directly so well, where Virgin struggle

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've just searched Line of Duty under catch-up and its displaying all 6 series and all episodes?

0 Kudos
jamesharvey94
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is this on the 360 box? I very definitely can only see episodes from series 6 when I've checked again just now...

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@jamesharvey94 wrote:

I struggle to understand why Sky are capable of integrating the box sets from all channels directly so well, where Virgin struggle

Just on this point, integration of streaming services listings into Sky/VM EPG's, is also at the behest of those streaming platforms to a certain extent.

It's a battle of branding, Netflix et all want to plaster their logo all over this content and not let you forget it - and in some cases they can restrict how the integration is done on different platforms.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jamesharvey94
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely I do understand from having read through multiple posts that this seems to be the case. I don't see however why the BBC or any mainstream provider would limit access to their older programs to just iPlayer on the Virgin box, however allow direct access on the Sky box? Surely they haven't stipulated this and it's more a question of how well integrated it is? 

Personally I much prefer the Virgin box overall, however this for me is a fundamental flaw as it renders the search function limited at best and completely useless in some cases.

0 Kudos
thrice
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I can write with no authority about this but perhaps the upcoming Virgin Media streaming service is to address this problem and have all (or at least more) content from streamers available and make it all easier to find. Be good if it did. Here's a link

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1427085/Virgin-Media-update-Sky-TV-rival-str...

jamesharvey94
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a step in the right direction at least! Here's hoping 🤞

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi jamesharvey94, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having trouble locating all the episodes without needing to go in to the BBC iPlayer app. I ca certainly get your feedback passed along regarding this for them to look in to this further going forward. 

If you have any further ideas or suggestions, let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide