cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy 360 box

JoanneKe
Tuning in

Just upgraded to the 360 box but it's so noisy even when in stand by mode. I have to turn up my TV volume upto try and drown the noise out but I hate doing this as I have really good hearing and don't like loud volumes and i can still hear it over this.

I have just the box replaced yesterday as called virgin last week reference the noise but this box is just the same if not worse.

I am autistic and the constant noise is overwhelming. I understand my hearing is really good but my tivo box did not make this noise and I'm really regretting the update. 

My only option is to now turn the power off when not in use but then this won't allow any recordings to happen.

I understand it might not bother some people but it is sensory overload for me as I struggle with more than one noise at a time.

I have looked at past questions and answers and I have checked everything, I have placed it on something else rather just directly on my wooden unit but it makes no difference.

I just wish I hadn't given back my old tivo box. 

25 REPLIES 25

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello JoanneKe, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community. 

We are very sorry to hear your equipment is noisy and the distress this is causing.

Can you please confirm if the vents to the box are clear and not obstructed? 

Was the previous box replaced due to the noise?

Thanks, 

Nat

Yes all clear, it was noisy immediately when engineer installed it.  If you see previous replies one of your colleagues has stated these new ones are noisy.   I only replied to someone else's comment that was posted earlier today.   It looks like a lot of us are finding this new version more noisy and frustrating especially when our previous models were quiet.  There's nothing that can be done about this noise so it's just something we have to put up with until our contract ends.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply and for confirming. 

We are sorry if the box is causing any issues or distress. 

We will ensure this information is passed on as feedback to the business. 

Nat

Thanks. As an autistic person if I had known upgrading to this box that it would have constant noise I would not of upgraded.  I use to like to read in quiet in my living room but can no longer do that, just like the other person stated earlier today.  My tv volume even has to be on louder to try and drown out the noise. When my contract ends I will probably look for another supplier as I miss the quietness.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

We are very sorry to hear this as we would hate to see you leave us JoanneKe. 

I do hope we can turn things around and make amends in the future. 

Thanks, 

Nat

One question,  if I was to turn the power off not just put on standby but completely off when not in use, would that harm it? It's just I really want to start reading again in this room, like the other poster states above it's currently impossible at the moment with the noise.

Hopefully Virgin will go back to producing quiet equipment,  I wish I had never upgraded as normally an upgrade means an improvement but on this occasion it's worse. 

Thanks for replying and fingers crossed Virgin take note of people complaining about the noise coming from the new boxes.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply. 

The box can be powered down but we wouldn't recommend doing if for long periods of time as updates may be required. 

Nat

So would an hour a day be ok? Ps thanks for trying to help

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That should be absolutely fine.

If the noise gets any louder or you experience any further issues, please do not hesitate to get back in touch. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Thanks very much for the reply, that's what I feared. I think that as you might do, when the contract comes to an end I'll be cancelling the service as I don't want to have this noisy box on a permanent basis. It will be bad enough having it for 18 months.