cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy 360 box

JoanneKe
Tuning in

Just upgraded to the 360 box but it's so noisy even when in stand by mode. I have to turn up my TV volume upto try and drown the noise out but I hate doing this as I have really good hearing and don't like loud volumes and i can still hear it over this.

I have just the box replaced yesterday as called virgin last week reference the noise but this box is just the same if not worse.

I am autistic and the constant noise is overwhelming. I understand my hearing is really good but my tivo box did not make this noise and I'm really regretting the update. 

My only option is to now turn the power off when not in use but then this won't allow any recordings to happen.

I understand it might not bother some people but it is sensory overload for me as I struggle with more than one noise at a time.

I have looked at past questions and answers and I have checked everything, I have placed it on something else rather just directly on my wooden unit but it makes no difference.

I just wish I hadn't given back my old tivo box. 

25 REPLIES 25

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

Any chance of posting a short vid so we can hear the noise, to get some idea of the cause?

My guess is that there's two potential culprits: The cooling fan and the hard drive, there the only two things that I can think of that would make a loud noise

Thanks for replying Virgin told me it was the fan, the noise is a similar sound to when central heating is on if that makes sense. The noise is still there even when on standby.   

Its more noticeable when TV is off and if person is on their own in the room trying to enjoy calm eg no background noise(as in kids playing/talking etc) to overpower the box noise  but if I just want to read a book with no TV etc then all I can hear is the virgin box so no more peace and quiet in this room any more.

Hi JoanneKe,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with noise on your 360 box.

Unfortunately, the sound you are hearing is completely normal. We do appreciate that this is louder than your previous TIVO box, however there is nothing we will be able to do to dampen this noise.

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Jodi,

The constant noise is s frustrating and annoying especially when I want some peace and quiet, however it's more frustrating having to have my TV on louder than I would like when watching a program just to drown the noise of the box out.

I am really regretting upgrading my TV package so once my contract is over I will cancel the TV package part of my subscription and get a Freeview box instead.

For the record I think Virgin need to advise people of the increased noise with this box especially to people who are noise sensitive like myself as if I had known I would not of agreed to change my box.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jodi_S wrote:

Hi JoanneKe,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with noise on your 360 box.

Unfortunately, the sound you are hearing is completely normal. We do appreciate that this is louder than your previous TIVO box, however there is nothing we will be able to do to dampen this noise.

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards Jodi. 

What an absolutely ridiculous response from Virgin. This is not normal!

I had a faulty mini box replaced a few months ago due to a noisy fan - exactly as the OP has described. Since being replaced, I never hear the fan, and even after excessive use, it’s barely noticeable. 

Don’t let VM fob you off, mate!!

JoanneKe
Tuning in

Update on my original post:

My first 360 box was quiet but was faulty and kept cutting out and restarting. This box was replaced by an engineer.

However the replacement one was noisy and I called to ask reference the noise and was told there has was a fault with a number of these having noisy fans and engineer will need to come and change the box. The engineer did not turn up on the allocated day/time, so I phoned virgin after a being on the phone and speaking with 5 different people I found out that due to staff shortages it an engineer was never assigned. The day of this scheduled appointment the 360 box had also  stopped working . The box was replaced 2 days later, this box is noisy as well and just like the previous boxes stops working after a couple of days, slightly different faults. The engineer came out the box failed to reboot and wouldn't move passed the first screen so another box was installed. 

All the above had happened in the last 3 weeks of upgrading to the 360 box.

I love the use of the microphone but everything else is a negative, the constant crashing, reloading, freezing etc is so frustrating.

Let's see how long box number 4 lasts.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I apologise for the experience you've had here - I can appreciate how frustrating it must be for you. 

Have you got box 4 now? If so, please keep us posted on how the box gets on. 

Cheers,

Ryan. 

Chris_S_Ncl
Joining in

I have the same problem; just self-installed the 360 box yesterday and it makes a constant noise like a fan or hard drive as described above (as if noisy central heating is on), even when put into standby. It does seem to be quiet when it's been in standby for a while, e.g. overnight. But the noise starts again when turned on. A few years ago we had a Tivo box which was very quiet and in between we've had a SkyQ box which was also very quiet. This 360 box is very irritating and seems like a step backward. If you're in the room and wanting to read quietly it's annoying. I suppose I will need to report it and ask for a replacement? As I did a self-install, would a technician come out, can anybody answer please? I don't really want to get someone out if they're just going to say 'that's the way it is' but I suppose I need to know one way or another. Thanks for your time.

My box is still really noisy, it's now placed on the floor under my unit to try and drown some of the noise out. It's really frustrating as before I upgraded to this new box my room was really peaceful and quiet but now I have this constant noise.  I do wish you luck but I think you are stuck with this noise unfortunately.