cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No control over installation of updates

Poor_Dog
On our wavelength

Hi

Why doesn’t VM offer us a choice of when to install an update?

Without any warning the last update installed itself part way through a programme, there I was watching my telly when the screen went blank and the tv prompted me to check the connections, check the source etc. 

Mid way through faffing about the VM box came back to life an announced that the software had been updated.

why don’t you give me a warning and choose when to update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Software drops are normally done overnight for precisely the reason you describe.

I suspect your box either had, or recovered from, a fault - causing an unplanned restart. The SW drop had probably been done already and was waiting an overnight forced reboot.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Software drops are normally done overnight for precisely the reason you describe.

I suspect your box either had, or recovered from, a fault - causing an unplanned restart. The SW drop had probably been done already and was waiting an overnight forced reboot.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Poor_Dog
On our wavelength

Thanks for replying, I can see the logic of updating overnight but for safety and economic reasons I turn things off overnight.

My computer can offer restarts at a time of my choice, it can’t be too much of an ask for VM to do the same?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM's TV boxes are designed to be left on 24/7/365 with power-saving options.

Regularly powering them down overnight can cause numerous issues, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was a consequence of this.