Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New VM TV 360?

This popped up on my mobile today: 

https://www.libertyglobal.com/virgin-media-announces-new-virgin-tv-360-set-top-box/

Copy/Paste below - however, the press release links to a Horizon platform page which states it's using Horizon 4 - which IS also used on the existing V6 -  but it's not clear on the new 360 box if TiVo is still included? Can someone at VM confirm if TiVo is in the new box?

It also states new customers will get the new box - is there any option for existing customers?

Content Below

Virgin Media is today lifting the lid off of its new TV platform, Virgin TV 360, which offers a seamless connected entertainment experience that moves with you.

The advanced TV line-up includes a new Mini box, new TV remote with voice control and smart new features which offer a fully integrated, voice activated and personalised service.

Virgin TV 360 is designed with the ultimate user experience in mind so customers can enjoy simple modern menus, quick navigation and all of their favourite apps and channels in one place. Offering the very best entertainment, Virgin TV 360 boasts all of the top TV channels and streaming apps such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer, all with 4k Ultra-High Definition and HDR viewing capabilities.

Customers can continue to record six programmes while watching a seventh, watch on demand programmes and live TV in one room, pause and continue in another room seamlessly through a Virgin TV 360 box or a Mini box.

And with Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband, multiple users in the home can stream and watch their favourite shows and content all at the same time in the highest resolution. Gigabit broadband speeds are also being rolled out by the company and are currently available to 6.8 million homes across the UK.

New Virgin TV 360 features include:

• Voice Search & Control – a new remote allows customers to use their voice to find the telly they love, open apps, pause, skip forward or back and breeze around content quickly.
  • Profiles – families can now create their own profiles so that they can control their own pause points, select their favourite channels and receive personalised recommendations.
  • Startover – lets customers skip back to the beginning of live programmes, even if they’ve already started.
  • New Mini box – recordings only need to be made once and can be shared across multiple set top boxes which allows for seamless Ultra-HD multi-room viewing throughout the home.
  • Upgraded Virgin TV Go app – offers a boosted on the go experience that allows customers to pause a programme on one set top box and carry on watching it on their tablet in another room or on the move

Box smart

Powered by Horizon, the next-generation entertainment platform developed by Liberty Global, Virgin TV 360 offers access to the latest TV innovations. With regular overnight updates straight to the box customers will be able to enjoy new features as soon as they’re ready.

From launch, all new customers taking one of Virgin Media’s TV and broadband bundles will receive Virgin TV 360 as standard, giving them the very best connectivity and entertainment at the touch of a button.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New VM TV 360?

@mr_pete wrote:

Copy/Paste below - however, the press release links to a Horizon platform page which states it's using Horizon 4 - which IS also used on the existing V6 -  but it's not clear on the new 360 box if TiVo is still included? Can someone at VM confirm if TiVo is in the new box?

It also states new customers will get the new box - is there any option for existing customers?

It's a different platform to TiVo, although as you say the hardware is similar to the V6.

Here's the Virgin Media press release which covers the existing customer question:

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-launches-new-tv-platf...

From launch, all new customers taking one of Virgin Media’s TV and broadband bundles will receive Virgin TV 360 as standard, giving them the very best connectivity and entertainment at the touch of a button.  

Existing customers who take the Ultimate Oomph bundle, or existing customers who upgrade to Ultimate Oomph, will also be able to get Virgin TV 360 later this year – at no additional cost.

The Ultimate Oomph Bundle offers Virgin Media’s premium TV package, including 250 channels such as all Sky Cinema, Sky Sports and BT Sport channels, two TV set top boxes, ultrafast M500 Fibre broadband, landline and an unlimited mobile SIM currently available for £79.99 per month. Virgin Media has also just announced a speed boost to 600Mbps for existing Ultimate Oomph customers.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Does anyone know any way to register interest in this. I have 3 V6 boxes and a Tivo box and found SKY Q much better in this respect so 360 looks like a great step in the right direction. When I try and watch shows on the other boxes I keep getting a V401 error despite having very strong wifi (Amazon Eero boxes), V6 says strength excellent and connection speed of several hundred Mbps and running on 5Ghz).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can use this page https://www.virginmedia.com/offers/befirst
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why (apart from licencing) have they ditched the TiVo bit? That was intuitive, quick and friendly.

I'm not interested in voice search (I've avoided digital assistants in the house).  The family would probably like the profiles bit, but they all really like TiVo (we had a Thomson TiVo S1 originally)....

Is the new box going to keep the various pieces? (i.e. pause,RW,FF, Slow mo, suggestions, Series Link etc)

I can see "Start over" (similar to jump to On Demand) but that's about it.  Also I presume it's keeping an HDD?  (given Horizon 4 supports "Cloud Storage" and I don't like stuff 'going' until I've deleted it) 🙂

Also, I don't want to jump to Ultimate Oomph (with the rather amusing price hike 18 months later!) - we don't watch any of the sports stuff! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media is owned by Liberty Global and the 360 platform is the same system they use across their companies.

The TiVo agreement is specific to the UK and is from before Virgin Media was bought by Liberty Global

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh yes, and what about TCP/Telnet access?

The V6 currently (due to the TiVo interface) provides nice integration into Home Automation - does the Horizon version do that?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to mention a few facts.

1) You will lose the recordings on ALL your boxes if you change to the new V360 platform, as the existing boxes will be replaced.

2) V360 only uses one 1TB hard drive box, the rest are diskless half size mini boxes. So you will only have one third of the recording capacity you have now. Pauseing Live TV on a box with no hard drive only gives you 10 minutes maximum. Recordings will be streamed from the main box to the minis, so poor WiFi is not an option.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good info so thank you all. It's a shame its only 1TB as I am used to Sky Q 2TB. No worries regarding losing recordings but not the end of the world. 

0 Kudos