Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 81
Flag for a moderator

New Tv service mini box

Hi

Just got an email about new tv service and the link has been sent to me again as the original email link was broken. This time it takes me to my virgin media login and says you can’t upgrade online please call. But when I called they can’t add it as they don’t see it on my account. Please help as I want to get in there before the deadline to get a change to have this new tv service. None of it has been simple. Everything seems to be broken. 

C41147EE-0412-4341-9BF2-1B0ADF89AACC.png

DF89264F-D6A8-4A2D-A170-DBA77BC3AF83.png

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Tv service mini box

I Also have the exact same issue, Tried on desktop and Mobile. 
No success, On Calling, I Get told "there are no upgrades for my account and they have no knowledge about new upgrades!"

When something new is coming it would be nice of VM to let there staff know, so when customers phones up they actually know what they are talking about!!! 

Hopefully, the link will be fixed or at least when I ring up someone will know what I'm talking about! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I was going to take up this offer until I realised how stupid it is. We have two V6s, they want to take those away and leave us with a Horizon box and a mini box, the mini box with no HDD. Totally pointless 'offer' for me. I'm not sure why you would upgrade to this offer if you already have two V6 boxes. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 81
Flag for a moderator

You would do it if 1TB of space is sufficient and you want to get access to the features which Horizon offers which are not available with the current TiVo-based system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 81
Flag for a moderator

<You would do it if 1TB of space is sufficient and you want to get access to the features which Horizon offers which are not available with the current TiVo-based system.>

These being out of interest. I did reply to the email so I would be interested if there was a bit more information. Signed up blindly to be honest without knowing what goodies it would give.

My Broadband Ping - Home Broadband
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 81
Flag for a moderator

The main concern I would have with this is I read the 4K mini box is WiFi only with no ethernet port.  Running 4k over wireless will be fine for some but others will really struggle.  On the Sky Q setup they at least have Ethernet ports on the minis and those dont even do 4k..  Also my understanding with this new Virgin service is you cant pause live TV on the mini box (or can only pause for a short period).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 81
Flag for a moderator

@Bemak187 wrote:

The main concern I would have with this is I read the 4K mini box is WiFi only with no ethernet port.

The new MRV box is just the top half of the V6 without the HDD. It has all the same connections as the V6. Don't confuse it with LGs Horizon mini box, which operates with the cloud driven version of Horizon only.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Do Virgin know what upgrade means ? www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv360support/    If thats what we're getting no thanks from me.

50% less storage as both boxes now share the tiny 1tb the master box has even though VM are promoting 4k TV so we'd need even more storage space not less,we also loose the ability to pause live TV on the 2nd box for longer than a few mins.

so other than a newer style remote and new software that could easily be flashed to existing V6 boxes whats the upgrade ?

They surely know the SH3 (one of the,if not the worst router ever made) wont be reliable enough to supply TV over wireless.

As there is almost zero info on the email and signup page regarding this "so called" upgrade whats the situation regarding returning back to the V6 box,is it the normal 14 day cooling off

One thing for sure, tech support are gonna be very busy.  

edit:

Apps such as Amazon Prime will be available at a later date. it just gets better and better lol

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Your decision is simple and straightforward, given your sentiment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 10 of 81
Flag for a moderator

NDAs and suchlike abound I'm sure, but you do sound as though you know more about this device and what it offers than has been released publically.

Maybe you know that it has a USP or some redeeming feature that is not yet publically  known, but I certainly fail to see any on what has been discussed so far.

Oomph Hub3 (modem mode) RT-AC68U with Merlin F/W.

My Broadband Ping - VirginMedia

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos