Menu
JillW2021
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

New Customer-picture and internet speed

New customer here, just switched over from Sky Q, Ive tried getting help to no avail so I'm asking the community here to see if you can help.

2 issues

Issue 1. Internet speed

I have the new box (may 2021) with a Hub4 router,

Im only on one device, my macbook pro, the router is 3 meters away, no interference from phones or microwaves, its in a good spot for signals, 

I was promised 215 download, I get 200MB to the hub, and only 70MB to my computer 

I am a designer and I work with graphics so speed is essential and one of the main reasons I signed up to Virgin.

ISSUE 2:

TV picture quality is poor, I have a new Toshiba TV and the settings are optimal for the best picture. It has not changed settings since I had the Sky Q box yet the new picture quality since switching to Virgin is dire. You can tell in the lettering graphics especially the edges of the lettering which are blurred and the main picture is also not crisp at all. When I change to HD channels, the picture is slightly better. The TV is new and is not the issue, it seems that all the regular, non-HD channels are quite frankly, awful, it's like an old analog signal, not good !

I am still within the time to cancel my Virgin service and sadly I will unless these issues are fixed.

Advice is most welcomed  

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer-picture and internet speed

Can I recommend you post about the speed issues in the speed forum here ? If any detail is required, that may make things easier.

On the TV picture... what size screen are you watching on, or better still what model of TV? Just making sure you're not trying to watch SD channels on a UHD TV, which is never going to end well..

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JillW2021
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Thanks for your reply, the TV is not UHD, its 55" full screen. As mentiond previously none of the setting of the TV have been altered since I switched form Sky Q, they are the same.

Another issue has arisen that I forgot to mention, the sound is intermittent as well, every five seconds the sound will be lost for about half a second, kind of like speaking into a dodgy microphone, this is annoying as well.

not a good start thus far 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

For the speed issue, try Sam Knows Real Speed. It works directly with the Hub 4 and shows the speed to your Hub and also from the Hub to your device. It may also highlight any potential issues.

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

If the speeds to tour Hub are on track with what you should be achieving, it may indicate an issue not related to the Hub itself. 

There are many factors which affect WiFi speed. 

0 Kudos
JillW2021
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

thanks for your reply

I used SamKnows, it's still slow, its down 70+MB from what I signed up for

I can resolve the internet speed I think, my main issue is my TV picture quality 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@JillW2021 wrote:

thanks for your reply

I used SamKnows, it's still slow, its down 70+MB from what I signed up for

I can resolve the internet speed I think, my main issue is my TV picture quality 

The fact you’re getting 200 to the Hub would indicate something happening in between. Have you tried using the fault tool within your Virgin account to see if this identifies any issues? Try the fault status checker and this could identify something we haven’t covered. 

Failing that, calling Virgin at 8am should avoid any queues and they’ll be able to identify if something isn’t right. Alternatively, you could wait for someone from the Forum team to pick up your query here, but this may take a few days.

My picture quality on the V6 is outstanding and far superior to Sky… I’m confident your issue is fixable. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Also, check the Diagnostics under the Network Settings menu. Your picture quality should be Good or above. Scroll down to check your connection speed. 

0 Kudos
JillW2021
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply

Under diagnostics I only have signal quality (good) I/net connection (ethernet) and connection speed (high) I do not have anything regarding 'picture quality

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The signal quality showing as good refers to your picture quality. Mine is good, also. It may be when Virgin run their checks, they can see what’s causing the issue for you…

0 Kudos
JillW2021
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Any more feeback? 

0 Kudos