cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigating guides, Recording and catch-up programmes : tips requested

crypticc
Fibre optic

Hello,

On the TiVo I liked dipping in and seeing what the box had gobbled up for me, both planned and unplanned.

360 losing that functionality compared to the TiVo means that my 360 is now demoted to mostly only Sky and BT sport, match of the day, and Saturday Kitchen. Everything else is Netflix or similar.

I mean with functionality like series links, series link+ using search, suggestions. And easy access to recorded programmes by double press of menu encouraged me to visit the TiVo frequently to see what I'd missed.

Now recording anything, even when I know it is coming up is impossible until a couple of weeks before when it appears in the programme guide.  And keeping on top of timing changes or recording a new series of a programme where previous one recorded too difficult and requires too much forward planning.

Have I missed some important functions or shortcuts? Does anyone have any tips for making the most of the 360?

for example:

• Setting a recording for "salvage cars" or "panorama" without ploughing through all the channels.*
  • Or how about shortcut to listing all the sports or movie channels?
  • Or using the quick programme now and next guide... how do I navigate from the "sport" channel my wife might be currently watching to set a recording of a programme I know is say on channel 101 without going one channel at a time, up up up?  I mean the small guide that pops up in bottom of the screen...If I select "1" in the guide as some have mentioned for the full EPG it jumps straight to channel 100 and turning off the channel that I was watching.
  • Or even finding what I have been able to record without Menu, click, click, click, click, click again.

Virgin's focus seems to have been more on the "look" and less on the "feel" and so I am interested in workarounds to get some semblance of usability back. Or do I need to start treating it more like Netflix and forgetting the live or timeshifted programming? E.g. watching the current programme and then hoping what I want is on catch-up.

Thanks,

Chris

P.s. I don't have time to read a "TV times" each week and plan the week ahead like the 90s. I mean something that covers up and coming programmes.

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

2 REPLIES 2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@crypticc wrote:

Hello,

And easy access to recorded programmes by double press of menu encouraged me to visit the TiVo frequently to see what I'd missed.

You can use voice search from any screen and say "recordings"

Have I missed some important functions or shortcuts? Does anyone have any tips for making the most of the 360?

for example:

• Setting a recording for "salvage cars" or "panorama" without ploughing through all the channels.*
  • You can use the voice search again, say the programm name and set up a recording from the screen that comes up, or add the program to your watch list
  • Or how about shortcut to listing all the sports or movie channels?
  • When in the EPG press Home then Right directional button, this highlights the All Channels dropdown button at the top of the screen - clicking OK brings up shortcuts to Sport, Documentaries, Movies, Kids etc
  • Or using the quick programme now and next guide... how do I navigate from the "sport" channel my wife might be currently watching to set a recording of a programme I know is say on channel 101 without going one channel at a time, up up up?  I mean the small guide that pops up in bottom of the screen...If I select "1" in the guide as some have mentioned for the full EPG it jumps straight to channel 100 and turning off the channel that I was watching.
  • Or even finding what I have been able to record without Menu, click, click, click, click, click again.

You can use voice search from any screen and say "recordings"

Youn should look at the https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/virgin-tv-360 page for helpful tips

There are also helpful tips on https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/virgin-tv-360 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi thanks for this. 

I think my issue with several tips is they assume voice activation is more convenient.

Most times I don't want to be barking at my TV but the other reason is because I use a multi-remote which doesn't have a voice button. That's why going from 2 button presses to 3 or 4, or in the case of EPG navigation needing to refocus my attention from one area of the screen to the top is a pain when all I want to do is quickly get to "sports" or "movies".

My other issue is that I think whoever thought it would be good to make that first "guide" selection show the channels numerically close to the current playing channel probably doesn't use the device in a daily basis.  Showing channels and time immediately close to the current channel is what the quick guide popup is for. I don't know about you but when I goto the real EPG guide my first thought is "which genre do I want?" not "which channel near to the current one?"

The issue in common with both is that the result is a pretty GUI experience but usability is inferior.

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings