cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi room

David12345671
Joining in

I have just set up an additional box in my house. Does it have to be connected to internet box if no Ethernet cable going into internet box on other room or can ye connect through Ethernet without cable.

9 REPLIES 9

roy247
Community elder

Are we talking a 360 mini box, as long as it's got the coax connection you can connect by wifi to the hub.

Yes it is the small 360 box. Just seeing do they have to connect to internet if no cable for Ethernet going into back of the box. I’m connected through the internet as it is.

You need the internet connection so the mini box can stream recordings from the main box as the mini has no hard drive, also to access any ondemand and apps etc. Don't forget to set both boxes to fast start or active start so the mini can wake up the main box to watch and set recordings.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@David12345671 wrote:

Yes it is the small 360 box. Just seeing do they have to connect to internet if no cable for Ethernet going into back of the box. I’m connected through the internet as it is.

If the mini box is only connected to the white coax you will only receive live TV channels. WiFi or Ethernet connection is required for EVERYTHING ELSE. You need to set up the WiFi connection if there is no Ethernet available

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks my box is connected through the Wi-Fi and working perfectly with all channels. Just seeing to connect to Ethernet does box need connection into wifi box. Just wondering because it says it is recommend so seeing can I do this without having Ethernet into back of mini box 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM TV boxes need 2 connections.

1: Coax cable provides live TV

2: Internet provides OnDemand, streaming & various updates.

Ethernet is recommended for the internet connection and will override WiFi. If Ethernet isn't suitable then WiFi will suffice instead.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ethernet cable is always the preferred way of connecting as the connection and speeds are more reliable, definitely the preferred way of connecting the main box, mini box should work ok by wifi unless the construction of your property or distance causes a problem.

Perfect thanks I assume if I can’t  connect an Ethernet cable to mini box you can’t connect with Ethernet and need to use Wi-Fi?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ethernet is recommended for the internet connection and will override WiFi. If Ethernet isn't suitable then WiFi will suffice instead.