cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to VM, do I have other TV options?

mufas12
Joining in

I am going to move to VM from Sky because of the crazy prices for pretty poor internet speeds.

I personally don't watch any TV so I would be fine with just broadband. My mother, however, watches TV a lot so I was just wondering what my options may be (regular channels, records plenty of stuff).

I saw the Virgin TV 360 bundle which seems reasonable. What are others using for TV? and what are your experiences with Virgin TV 360?

6 REPLIES 6

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are loads of options. VM have 2 TV systems running now.

Traditional TV which uses Horizon V360 boxes. These allow you to record on up to 6 channels at once to a 1TB HDD, plus you have full catch-up & On Demand services & streaming services like Netflix.

IPTV via a Stream box. This is a Broadband add on with no recording facilities, but other wise as above.

There is also nothing to stop you installing SkyQ or Sky Stream. They both work with Virgin Broadband, but you would have to compare pricing to see if it is worth it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cardiffman282
Super solver

If it's Freeview I'd suggest just buying your own TV box https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/freeview-boxes-and-recorders/c:30220/

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The 360 records all live TV broadcasts, has Catch Up, box sets and the usual apps like BBC iPlayer, Netflix and YouTube as well as the more recent Disney+ and Discovery+. The box supports basic HDR10 and HLG but not Dolby Vision or HDR10+. One feature I use a lot is voice, so if on a live TV channel I can say "YouTube" and get taken there.

As a new customer you'll get discounted deals and including telephone and O2 will be cheap. If you're not an O2 customer you can migrate to O2 and get what's called a Volt package for more broadband speeds and mobile data.

You must know, however, that VM will raise prices every April by RPI plus 3.9 percentage points. You must also know that VM's service is usually fine but the response to customer complaints leaves a lot to be desired, due in part because some call centres - in my not so humble opinion - have been outsourced to Philippines and India.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tavis75
Super solver

Coming from the Sky you'll probably find the 360 vaguely similar to SkyQ as they have pretty comparable features. It's not as good as Virgin's V6 box, but I don't believe new customers can get that one anymore. As mentioned, Freeview and buying a Freeview box that records is another option that should give you largely similar features, though less tuners and likely less channels. TBH though you'll probably find a bundle with TV costs a similar price to just getting Broadband so might not be much saving.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Of course, if you have a Sky dish it will also work with Freesat, which carries more HD channels than Freeview & also has a 2 tuner recording box available.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If it's a newer Sky system with SkyQ then the dish does not work with Freesat unless the LNB on the dish is replaced I believe, as they now use a different type of LNB.