Menu
JB254
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving from Sky Q to V360

Can someone please explain how the V360 box connects/interacts with its mini boxes - is this done through the wifi network (I am with Virgin Media) or does the V360 box have its own mesh purely for communicating between boxes? Or are all units hardwired?

I am presently with Sky and have just moved to Sky Q (which uses its own in-built mesh). We live in an old house with solid stone walls - so Sky Q struggles to retain a connection to the mini boxes even with boosters in place and we have to reset them every 5/10 minutes or so. (Our existing wifi is extended through the house via a TP Link mesh system - and I was led to believe this would work with Sky Q)

I would be looking to move from Sky Q (within cooling off period) if they cannot resolve the issues - but want to make sure I am not going to face the same difficulties with V360 if I moved to Virgin.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving from Sky Q to V360

All Virgin TV boxes require a Virgin coax connection in addition to any home network connection.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
JB254
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks BenMcr - and for the quick response

No problem with coax connections where we wish to install the boxes - but can I clarify, please .... do all the boxes independently connect to wifi network via the nearest extender (in my case TP Link)? Just that if the mini boxes have to connect to the main box via wifi, then I'd struggle here with the stone walls

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The internet connection can be direct Ethernet cable, Ethernet over powerlines or WiFi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unlike SkyQ, the Virgin main boxes do not act as a hub. All traffic between boxes has to go through the Virgin modem/Hub, so the more you rely on WiFi to interconnect the more likely you are to have issues.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos