Menu
markdyer72
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Moving cable

I have v6 360 in my back room, I have just had the front room re-plastered and we intend moving into there once re-decorated etc.  To save me paying astronomical price to have the box moved in there can I do it myself.

the situation is that the cable goes from the brown box at the front of the house all the way around the exterior of the house to the back, a good 15 to 20 meters, also another that’s not used goes up to the front bedroom, my question is can I cut the cable at the back and take it off the wall and into the front room via the sky hole and then replace the end with a new f connector. Technically it’s using the existing cable just re-routing it.

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving cable

@markdyer72 wrote:

I have v6 360 in my back room, I have just had the front room re-plastered and we intend moving into there once re-decorated etc.  To save me paying astronomical price to have the box moved in there can I do it myself.

the situation is that the cable goes from the brown box at the front of the house all the way around the exterior of the house to the back, a good 15 to 20 meters, also another that’s not used goes up to the front bedroom, my question is can I cut the cable at the back and take it off the wall and into the front room via the sky hole and then replace the end wit h a new f connector. Technically it’s using the existing cable just re-routing it.

Hi Mark,

I used to have the second box in my kids bedroom at the back of the house and when she moved out I bought some good quality satellite cable and dropped it through the floor and into the conservatory and fitted new f connectors at both ends. When I had a Virgin engineer round for a box swap I told him what I had done and he said no problem. So what you should want to do shouldn't be a problem.

Roy.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Please do not modify the cable that is supplied by Virginmedia as it isn't allowed as per the terms and conditions, only Virginmedia engineers can modify the cable which will be charged at £99 for a non-fault call out, changing the length or modifying the cable can cause issues not just for you but also everybody who connects to the same green termination box and you would be libel for a huge bill to fix the fault or a summary termination of all services for breaching the terms and conditions.

Currently Virginmedia are not doing non essential work due to covid restrictions.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
markdyer72
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

We want to have the cable moved into the front room prior to carpet being fitted, very soon, I have already laid the tube under the floorboards with string ready to pull a cable thru, have just rang virgin to have this done, but they won’t budge, blaming covid.   What’s the quickest and easiest way I can have this work done, I have plenty of existing cable that I could easily move it myself if virgin are not prepared to.  I cannot understand boa installing a new cable is different from a new install, we are fully covid tested and also jabbed….

0 Kudos
Samantha_G
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi markdyer72,

Thanks for your post.

I'm afraid that as DJ_Shadow1966 has correctly advised, we aren't currently conducting non essential jobs, such as equipment relocations, due to Covid-19. You can find out more information here

As soon as we continue to conduct non essential jobs we will let you know so the appointment can be booked. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you need help with anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Beth

0 Kudos
markdyer72
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@Samantha_G wrote:

Hi markdyer72,

Thanks for your post.

I'm afraid that as DJ_Shadow1966 has correctly advised, we aren't currently conducting non essential jobs, such as equipment relocations, due to Covid-19. You can find out more information here

As soon as we continue to conduct non essential jobs we will let you know so the appointment can be booked. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you need help with anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Beth

Thanks, can you mark my account to receive a call as soon as you are taking bookings.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No problem at all.

We will let customers know once we will continue to carry out non essential jobs. I'll pop a note on there for you.

Kind regards,

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos
markdyer72
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Any news on whenVM will be carrying out cable re-locations.   

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi markdyer72,

Thank you for your post. 

Sadly we still don't have any further updates regarding this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
markdyer72
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@Martin_N wrote:

Hi markdyer72,

Thank you for your post. 

Sadly we still don't have any further updates regarding this. 

^Martin

Thanks for that looks like I may have to review my options as have put sky cable where need it.   Can’t see why a new install is any different to putting a new cable in my front room, as would be just like practically a new install….and nobody even needs to b near the engineer as at present the room in question is empty awaiting carpet.

0 Kudos