Menu
djsteev
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Missing features in Virgin 360 compared to Virgin V6

I installed Virgin 360 this morning and even though I wasn't supplied with any instructions in the package, managed to get it done. 

1. I was a little annoyed that there was no warning that all my recordings and bookmarks were going to be erased.

2. This is the biggy for me. I was trying to set up all my recordings again and discovered I can no longer set up a subject to record. For example I used to be able to put a subject in 'Athletics', for example, set new progs only, and then it would record any athletics, from any channel, including BBC red button and I could catch up with whatever I wanted or delete the ones I wasn't bothered about. I also did this for speedway. I now have to find it in the guide and specify the show that I want to record. If it's not in the guide I need to wait now until it is.

This is a major step backwards in the software. As an oomph customer I'm paying for a premium service and I'm no longer getting what I was before my 'upgrade' ! This is very disappointing. 

I'm sure as I get to use it I'll discover other things that used to be there but in the meantime it would be nice if it could be added back in to the software in some future update. I don't know if there is anywhere that this can be suggested?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Missing features in Virgin 360 compared to Virgin V6

Hi djsteev,

When I upgraded to the 360 the instructions where printed on the inside box cover of the remote controls.

There is a comparison table of the main differences between the boxes on the virgin-tv-360-upgrade  page.

That page also states, " Enjoy your recordings before you swap

Unfortunately your recordings and settings won’t be transferred to your new TV when you upgrade. But there’s still time to watch before you swap. Some programmes will be available to watch again on Catch Up or On Demand (depending on which TV pack you have) and you’ll find loads more to get hooked on in no time."

and, " Virgin TV 360 is a new product and you will find some differences from your current TV service

• Virgin TV 360 manages recordings differently to TiVo, it does not include Wish Lists or full Series Link+ functionality 
  • The All4 app is not currently available but all recently broadcast Channel 4 shows are available from the Catch Up menu, and discoverable with Voice Search"

You might find the virgin-tv-360 page handy for getting used to using the 360.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
djsteev
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cheers, Dave

Thank you for your quick response, I did miss the instructions on the inside of the box, doh!

I've noticed the missing series link+ functionality. I used to use this a lot and you're right it is 'Wish list' that I used to use to create my recordings. Problem is once you've upgraded you can't go back to find out the name of something once it's gone and I couldn't remember what it was called so thanks for that.

Currently it feels like a downgrade when using it onscreen without the voice search/commands. It's very pretty but some essential features have been left out. Hopefully they can put some of these back in with further updates.

Also I prefer to view in lists as to everything showing as thumbnails, shame we don't have a choice. 

Thanks for the link to the virgin tv 360 page although I think I have the hang of it. I was just looking for things that have been removed.

Kind regards

Steve

0 Kudos
djsteev
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've been informed that it was 'Wish List' that I used to use (2) and it is no longer available. I also missed the instructions on the inside of the box as I didn't open it fully.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In fairness to VM, the points you've covered so far are mentioned on the "upgrade to 360" webpage...

360_upgrade.JPG

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The best V6 feature was wishlists and they didn't implement it. 360 seems to be a dumb recording box like other companies. V6 although outdated interface was far more powerful. Shame on Virgin still promoting it as an upgrade when it's clearly not. Features over a pretty interface is what I want.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Oomph bundle
Equipment: 3 x V6, Super Hub 3
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As I understand it, the challenge is a lot of the V6 features we use are proprietary and owned by TiVo, so unless there's a way to develop them that doesn't infringe on their copyright, then VM can't implement them.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node