cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini box opens Sony TV at Digital Tuner instead of HDMI

kteirvine
Dialled in

We've just got a TV360 mini box installed upstairs to work with an old (2007 but excellent) Sony Smart TV. I set the TV so that all inputs would be skipped except for HDMI. However, when we switch the minibox and TV on the TV defaults to its own digital tuner instead of the hdmi input. Therefore, everytime we switch on the TV & minibox we also have to press the input button to switch over to the minibox. Is it just because the TV is old or is there something that I'm missing? 

Also, I set the TV360 System setting for One Power to on. However, quite often only the mini box comes on and not the TV when pressing the power button (top right). I then also have to press the TV button (top left on TV360 remote). Am I just not pressing the power button hard or long enough?

Suggestions to both issues very much welcomed. 

19 REPLIES 19

Hi @roy247

Yes definitely correct model. HDMI 1 is in the middle of the back and the other 3 x HDMIs are at the back down the right hand side. The cable is currently in the HDMI 1 point. I'm going to try it in the other points to see if it makes a difference. Everything is paired up and the red power switch works for turning the minibox & TV off at the same time. It just doesn't work like that for switching the TV on. 

@Roger_Gooner

I don't think I have that facility to choose the default, which is why I'm going to study the reference guide (different from the user manual) to see if I'm missing something. 

You can select the HDMI input with every TV, no exceptions. Typicall you press the Home or Input button to find the list of HDMI inputs.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner

Yes,I know how to do that. What I said was that I didn't see the facility to set a default input. 

Selecting the source, e.g. HDMI 1, makes it the default until you change it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner

That's the problem - HDMI doesn't stick. It keeps defaulting to the digital tuner

Apologies @roy247

You are correct. I was looking at the manual on my phone. I hadn't noticed that the wrong TV was returned in the search. 

Hi @Roger_Gooner

When I looked at the (correct) TV manual I discovered that one of the menu items (HDMI Set-up - 4th from bottom of menu sub-list) is missing from my own TV's menu. See 1st photo attached.

That explains why I can't get the HDMI input to stick as I can't set it up in the first place! The next page in the manual explains how to perform the HDMI Set-up process. See 2nd photo attached. So in theory you were right, but my TV is wrong 😢 

Screenshot_20230204_151912_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230204_151954_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hi @newapollo

I've discovered that it didn't matter if the One Power was on or off, as the Virgin remote still controlled both volume and programme controls (don't ask me how). However, the TV didn't turn off with it. I then turned the One Power back on and the TV now comes on at the same time as the minibox, with only a couple of seconds delay. So that's one issue solved.

I tried what you suggested re switching off, unplugging cables, etc., but it made no difference.

I also checked the TV manual and there is indeed a section re HDMI-CEC. Unfortunately, the menu item to do what's required is missing from my TV Settings (see my reply to @Roger_Gooner re the HDMI Set-up sub-menu). So that also explains why I've not been able to set the minibox to come on when powering on. 

Dear all, I've now found the paper manual which came with the TV and it makes no mention of having a separate HDMI Setup or being HDMI-CEC enabled. So the mystery of being unable to default to the HDMI input is solved. 😢

Thanks for all your help. It was very much appreciated.