cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini box loud fan since 5.01 update

jonr2012
On our wavelength

So ever since the update 5.01 was pushed to our mini box, we’re experiencing sporadic loud fan “wurry” noises on our mini box. Seems to not be instantly, but after at least an hour of the box being switched on. Tried all the usual resetting, turning off, etc etc but still experience the louder fan wurry noise. The box has been fine for the last 6 months or so, only since the update has this noise begun.

Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Is anyone from virgin media aware of any current issues since 5.01 was pushed?

10 REPLIES 10

roy247
Community elder

Could be purely coincidental and might need a new fan, do you use the mini box much, I only use mine occasionally but did use it yesterday for around 3 hours and didn't hear anything and received the update at the start of the week.

Pazza76
On our wavelength

I’ve just noticed today mine is making this fan noise. Really irritating, I thought it was probably because my box is nearly 5 years old. Curious to see what Virgin say. 

jonr2012
On our wavelength

Interesting, is that the 360 mini box? 5 years old I guess might be an older box? Ours is only 6 months, so we might just have a fault!

Ours was on for 2 hours today, then it started making the louder noise. Really is irritating, probably just need a replacement box.

Anyone know how to go about that? I’d rather try avoid phoning up if possible.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jonr2012,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear you're having some issues with the mini box.

How has it been since you last posted? IS the box well ventilated/ free from obstruction?

Does a reboot help at all?

Alex_Rm

Hi Jonr2012.

Thank you for posting and welcoming you back onto this thread ☺.

Sorry to see you are having issues with the box making noise ☹.

Is it in a well ventilated area?

Has this been dropped on the floor or perhaps been moved around the house?

What happens when you reboot? Does the sound go louder or stop then start?

Please let us know. We are here to help.

Thank you. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jonr2012
On our wavelength

Yes tried all this. Yes it’s well ventilated it’s been fine for months as I’ve already mentioned.

Again I’ve tried all the rebooting, unplugging, etc as I’ve already mentioned 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey jonr2012, thanks for letting us know you've already tried all this and sorry to see the issue has been ongoing for months.

We're eager to best assist with this, in order to help I will need to PM you here soon.

Please, check on the top right-hand side of our page to find a little white envelope.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jonr2012
On our wavelength

Still no response to this from VM. Missed a DM, but we’ve clearly got a faulty box. It’s also always hot in standby mode.

Why can’t you send me a new box and I’ll send the faulty one back? Don’t waste an engineers time sending them round if it can be avoided. Sky offer the same service when boxes are faulty

Hi there @jonr2012 

Thank you so much for popping back to us, I am so sorry that the previous private message was missed but I can see that you have been able to speak to a member of your team since this post and arrange an appointment. 

Please do let us know how the appointment goes and thank you again for popping back to us.