Menu
Matt8787
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Max cable length between 360 and mini box

I’m shortly going to be having the oomph package installed, with 360 box and mini.  I really don’t want to have a coaxial cable trailing through my house to the mini box, so am trying to think of potential ways in which it can be routed out of sight somewhere- which leads me to, what’s the max coaxial length possible between 360 and mini?  Plus if anyone has any novel ideas for hiding the wire, I’m all ears

cheers

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
roy247
Superfast
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Max cable length between 360 and mini box

The coax doesn't connect between the 360 and the mini box. If it's a brand new install the engineer should run the cable's to 2 points in your house where you want them and use the most practical way that you both agree on to do it. This might involve 2 separate entry points into your property.

0 Kudos
Matt8787
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Oh, didn’t realise that.  The only thing is, the 2nd TV is at the back of the house, so can’t really see how they’d be able to add a 2nd access point at the back, without finding a way to route it from the road all the way to the back of the house...

0 Kudos
roy247
Superfast
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I don't know about the latest rules and regulations they have to follow, we had our install around 93 by NTL or Cable and Wireless whoever came first, one access point into the lounge at the front, the second around the side of the house over next doors garage (link detached) and into a bedroom at the rear.

The cable was installed under the lawn at the front to the house from the road.

0 Kudos
Matt8787
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

A quick question regarding the VM team installing a 2nd entry point to the house.  I presume this means another brown box stuck on the outside wall?  In terms of where the wire then comes into the house, must it also have a white box at the entry point?  Or can it just be the wire coming through the wall?

I'd prefer to just have a single wire coming through the wall, inconspicuously low down by the skirting board and leading straight to the back of my TV cabinet, rather than have a Virgin white box stuck on the wall / visible for all to see.  

0 Kudos
roy247
Superfast
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matt,

When they did mine and it was a long time ago, it was a brown box at the front and the cable was run round the outside and entered through a hole in the wall at the rear, no brown box. Both entry points are terminated into a white box indoors, that way the cable can be easily connected or disconnected if need to be.

0 Kudos
Matt8787
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

thanks - good to know another brown box won't be necessary

in terms of the internal white box - any idea if that has to be exactly where the wire comes into the house? 

Or could the wire come into the house for about a metre, and then feed into the white box? (if that was possible, the white box could be installed behind the TV cabinet, rather than out on display....

0 Kudos
roy247
Superfast
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think it has to be where it comes into the house.

0 Kudos
Matt8787
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, I wonder why

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You can split the cable anywhere 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos