cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listen to radio with a blank TV screen

djb3
Tuning in

Hi

I’ve just joined Virgin Media from SKY and already I’ve been helped twice by the Virgin Media Community. I do have another question that I would appreciate getting some help with.

When I was previously with Virgin one of the things I really appreciated was being able to listen to the radio at night and not have the TV screen lit up. This was on a V6 box. Now I’ve rejoined I find that with the 360 box I’m no longer able to do this. Although the TV Guide shows that the Radio Stations are on Channel 901 upwards this doesn’t appear to be the case with the 360 box. Apparently you have to access radio through the Home button, Guide and Radio button to access the different stations. Unfortunately the TV screen is lit up with all the other radio stations and I cannot see an option to make the screen blank. Does anyone know of a way that I can make the screen blank whilst listening to the radio?

Many thanks

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi chrisjames,

On my LG for Energy Saving you need to go to Support > OLED Care > Device Self Care > Energy Saving, if you want to turn the screen off.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Dave,

I'm afraid you can't blank out the screen like you could on the older tivo/V6 boxes.

You can generally press the voice button on the remote and say the name of the radio station you want to listen to.

You will find a list of your most recently used radio stations (once you've listened to a couple) if you scroll down to the bottom of the Home page.

You can't record Radio broadcasts on the 360, it's live listening only for most stations, but you can use the BBC Sounds app to listen to content already broadcast. 

If there's a particular radio station you can't find then open up the radioline app and use the search feature.

Here's a link to the latest 360 channel guide (it's different to the one you have been using which is for the older tivo/V6 boxes)

/ChannelGuide_360_September_23.pdf 

You might also find the following two links useful for getting to know the 360 box

/virgin-tv-360 FAQ's  and the /virgin-tv-edit/virgin-tv-360 page which has links with more thorough explanations of how some of the features work.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

chrisjames
Up to speed

If you haven't already, check the settings on your TV. My Samsung had an option to turn the picture off, my current TV (LG) does not, but your TV might!🤞

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The simple answer is that you can't. TiVo-software which drives the TiVo & V6, allowed for radio channels to be on the EPG and thus recordable/blank-screened in the way you describe.

By cancelling your account and rejoining, you don't have any choice in having TV360 which is fundamentally different software. It has many differences with TiVo-software, and one of them is that radio channels are only carried via the app and not by an EPG position. I believe there are also some historical reasons for this, which again - don't apply to TV360.

So TV360 is operating as designed here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chrisjames wrote:

If you haven't already, check the settings on your TV. My Samsung had an option to turn the picture off, my current TV (LG) does not, but your TV might!🤞

Hi @chrisjames.,

I've just checked my LG NANO and found a setting to turn off the picture on the TV screen. Hopefully yours does have the same option, however it will probably need you to go through different menu settings..

Settings > All Settings > Picture > Energy Saving >  Clicking on 'Screen Off' works - the screen shows a message and then goes black after 5 seconds as per screenshots below.

Clipboard01.jpgClipboard02.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hello newapollo

It wasn't me who was trying to turn my picture off, I just said you can on some TV's (like yours) but not mine.

I have an LG OLED tv and have a different menu on picture settings to you and Energy Saving is not a sub menu but thanks anyway!

Hi chrisjames,

On my LG for Energy Saving you need to go to Support > OLED Care > Device Self Care > Energy Saving, if you want to turn the screen off.

Hi roy247

It appears that I have the same TV as you as your instructions lead me to the "Screen off" function. However it is a bit of a pain  to get there. I like to fall asleep listening to the radio for half an hour but by the time i navigated to the "screen off" option I'll be wide awake but many thanks to you all for offering your advice

Dave

You're right roy247! Hidden away, I don't know if I always had it or it appeared after a software update😀

I think it all depends on which version of LG's OS you have but it's not always obvious where you need to look.