Menu
spedwards
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

LG TVs and Virgin 360 woes - a solution or at least a workaround

Like many others on this forum we've been struggling with the 360 box being connected to our LG TV. Amongst others we have seen the pairing of these two devices...

• Silently re-configuring our LG TV.
  • Switching the sound output setting from hdmni-ARC to Internal speakers+IR.
  • Making the current volume setting flash up on the screen every few minutes. 
  • Connecting at 2180p but having a generally very fuzzy picture.
  • Showing HD channels in transcoded SD.
  • Sport with rapid motion was unwatchable - golf balls flashed in and out of view in flight. Bootballs in flight had leading and trailng balls. Simialr with cricket balls.

There is a solution to all of these.

After some thinking I realised that the issue lay in the hdmi handshaking.  These are embedded in the firmware of the units.

Virgin Level 2 Support insist that they will only support LG TV with Virgin 360 when there is NOTHING ELSE connected to the TV. That means they refuse to talk about my issues, won't report an issue and just wanted me to go away. So I cannot expect a firmware fix from Virgin.

LG do still ship updated TV firmware. But the reports on this forum indicate that is is widespread across LG TV model types and years. So its a generic issue that is being reported by Virgin users. I can't see LG "fixing" something here either.

Logicaly we can solve the problem if we can get the 360 box to handshake with a different device, and have that device forward the actual screen output to the LG TV. Avoiding any direct contact between the 360 box and the TV.

Now you might have a new enough AV Receiver to act as the middle-man. So you can plug the 360 into it. But my Receiver is too old for 4K HDR.

So, instead, I bought an hdmi splitter that supports the full spec of the TV inputs... 4K@60Hz, 1080p@120Hz, HDR, Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision and crucially it supports EDID negotiation.

EDID is the negotiation that identifies the capabilties of the unit on the end of the wire. This unit has two emulation modes, and a pass-through Copy EDID mode.

I only needed to use the Copy mode. It simply repeats what the LG TV states are its real capabilities.

IT WORKS.

It is annoying that I had to spend another £25, but...  IT WORKS!!!

It solved the entire collection of issues. Barring the slightly soft Sky Sports picture.

Our LG TV now has real 4K sport again, it retains its sound settings, the volume menu only appears when we hit a remote control button. Hdmi-ARC stays active and our external sound system works perfectly again. HD pictures are not being down-converted to SD and back to 4K for display. There is now only one football in flight, not three chasing each other and flickering.

In short I no longer want to throw the Virgin 360 box in the bin every time I use it.

I did have to cover a couple of annoying blue lights on the new box with black tape. But that was a trivial issue.

I don't know the forums rules about if you can link to devices in these forums. So I won't try.

But for all those of you who are using an LG TV with a Virgin Media 360 attached:  Use the description below and search for this on the vendor named after a rain forest. Then sit back and watch your LG TV in full 4K and be at peace again...

"HDMI Splitter 1x2 4K 60Hz 1080P 120Hz 4:4:4 HDR D-o-l-b-y Vision Atmos Scaler 4K 1080P,Firmware Upgrade HDMI 2.0 Splitter 1 in2 out HDCP2.2 PS5 Scaler EDID Switch,USB Power,ESD,Mini Case SP12H2"

Note: You will need an extra high spec' hdmi cable to connect it to the 360 box as there is an extra link involved. It doesn't come with a cable. Just a USB power lead.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: LG TVs and Virgin 360 woes - a solution or at least a workaround

Thank you very much for sharing this with the wider community @spedwards

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos