Menu
dmclark
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is “watch from start” just iPlayer?

This “new” watch from start feature seems to be just opening up iplayer or equivalent and watching in low definition?

I was expecting it to be in HD, maybe some sort of proprietary Virgin streaming. I’ve got an old V6 box with the 360 software upgrade.

doesn’t seem to be very good or new but maybe I’m missing something?

thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is “watch from start” just iPlayer?

You are missing something.

Startover is available on around 30 channels, not just BBC.

It is true that BBC channels implement this using the BBC iPlayer app.

The other channels use what you might consider a cloud copy of the Startover program.

Programs which support Startover are shown in the Guide with what looks like the Catch Up symbol but it will be white, rather than greyed out, Greyed out signifies that a program will be available later in Catch Up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
roy247
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C might correct this as I could be wrong, it appears to me that the start over feature is a shortcut to catchup.

Regarding picture quality if you are watching iPlayer it should be in HD, if you have never set this go into the app, settings, settings & help, video quality, and select best quality.

Sorry Ernie I didn't see your answer but it still confuses me as to what is available and what isn't, I will post an example.

0 Kudos
roy247
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie,

Not much on TV just sitting down after dinner, ok let's watch some old NCIS on 5USA missed the start of the 1st episode but seen it before so can remember what's happening, no startover, next episode same series, can watch on startover, next episode same series, no startover. Who's controlling that cloud startover service, to me you don't have any on startover or they all are. 

I don't expect you to be able to give a definitive answer but a different thought logic might help.

Thanks

Roy.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Personally, I don’t use Startover as I record everything I watch.

As I understand, if the icon is greyed out, the program will be available in Catch Up later.

If the icon is white, the episode is available to Startover if you try to watch it during the time it’s being broadcast. If it’s white and it’s not broadcast time, it’ll be in Catch Up / On Demand.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input Ernie, on those 3 episodes only the middle episode had a Startover icon and it was white, but when I had finished watching it and looked at the guide hoping to see a Startover icon on the next episode the Startover icon had gone from the episode I had just watched.

At least I can now watch the Euro's and forget about Startover.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey roy247,

The Start Over feature will work on BBC for the Euro 2020's. 😉

Don't forget to use the iPlayer on your 360 and watch most games on the BBC in UHD HDR

The following early games will be shown in UHD HDR format

• Turkey v Italy
  • Wales v Switzerland
  • England v Croatia
  • Scotland v Czech Republic
  • Spain v Sweden
Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
Xiv88
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry if someone has already posted this but on the TV guide if the programme you want has a circular arrow symbol after it, when you click on the programme you are given the option to watch live or watch from start, hope this helps

0 Kudos