Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is the 360 box really that bad.....

So I'm reading a lot of negativity around the 360 box and would like to hear from people who are happily using it. I had Sky Q and much preferred the idea of a central box and access from other boxes around the house, particularly if this is matched with profiles. So, can anyone tell me they are happy with the 360 box?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is the 360 box really that bad.....

Yes, a month or so in, I'm happy enough.  Embrace voice control and you're on your way. It *is* a work in progress and it isn't a Tivo and I'm not a power user, so happy to live with some shortcomings. Also make sure you download the latest Virgin app if you use a tablet or smartphone. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'd say it's different more than it is bad. My personal view of it is pretty negative, but I think it's highly dependent on how you watch broadcasts and streams now.

For example, I'm very comfortable with the way the V6 remote and software work together - I like the feel of the remote, I like having dedicated buttons for actions like 'My Shows' and 'Subtitles', and I can navigate quickly and easily. I found with the V360 that I was expected to use voice commands way more than I wanted to - and I say this as someone who already has various voice-activated device around the house. I just don't want to speaking into my remote all the time, and since I have to press the mic button anyway to use voice, it's not even more convenient. Certainly other people are reporting more positively about the remote, and about being able to use voice commands

The way recordings and available episodes are presented works better for me on the V6 than the 360. I think that will still be true even when the 360 is properly integrated with its apps. Again, a personal preference. Some would say the 360 interface is clean and modern, and the V6 is ugly and dated.

I find fast-forward and rewind easier and quicker with the V6. One little example is that I like how on the V6 if you press fast forward three times to the maximum speed, then press rewind once, it steps you back from forward x 3 to forward x 2. On the 360 this switches you from whatever forward speed you were on to rewind x 1, which is not bad, but it is different. 

One V6 'feature' that is maddening that is fixed on the 360 is the channel list in the TV guide. You know how the V6 always resets to 'all channels' and how you can't reorder the channel list? Both of these are fixed by 360

I think (and this is just my best guess) that what the 360 platform is trying to do is build the viewing experience primarily around how we use streaming services, and on demand watching, and then add broadcast TV to that or apply the same thinking to it, whereas before we had PVRs which were all about timeshifting broadcast TV, and then had apps for streaming etc added on later. If you can integrate all this seamlessly you have a terrific device. The 360 doesn't nail it, imo, and because my streaming needs are pretty well met already (for example, my TV remote has a Netflix button so that is still the easiest way for me to watch Netflix) and the V6 is better for recording TV broadcasts (it has better series link options), I prefer the V6,

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've had a a 360 and 2 minis for almost a couple of months now.  I actually prefer it to the V6.  It's less "clunky" and the interface is cleaner (a lot like SkyQ which I had a few years back).

We don't use a lot of recording space so the 1TB limit (250hrs HD) doesn't bother us (the recodings rarely use 25% of the available space and we delete as we watch and use a lot of catch up!).

Some niggles (such as not being able to record only new episodes of shows) are due to be fixed in future software updates but on the whole once you get used to it it's quite good.

Profiles (and the ability to have different channel selection and order under each profile) are a boon in our house - kids van have their own EPG selection and we can have ours plus the profiles follow you across the boxes and the TVGo app. 

The apps are also the newer versions (the Amazon app for example has profiles enabled) unless these have been updated on the V6 over the past 6 weeks or so.

We also have no more problems with the box not properly negotiating HDCP 2.2 with our 4K TV - with the V6 we were regularly greeted with no picture or just the menus showing and needed to either switch the TV on and off or disconnect and recnnect the HDMI lead to get it working.  WIth the 360's the problem has just gone away - starts perfectly every time!

The system at the moment is fairly new though so I'd expect features to be added and niggles to be sorted out in the future (the price you pay for being an "early adopter" - I remember being an early adopter for SkyQ and it had quite a few niggles when it came out first!)

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So the Profiles allow you to see your selected channels. But does this extend to your Recordings. Say you have elderly parents in the house with their own box for instance. If the recordings are not flagged to the Profile recording them you would end up with a huge jumble & people accidently deleting eachothers recordings. Are you able to recover deleted recordings on V360 as you can with the V6?

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

deleted

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

So the Profiles allow you to see your selected channels. But does this extend to your Recordings. Say you have elderly parents in the house with their own box for instance. If the recordings are not flagged to the Profile recording them you would end up with a huge jumble & people accidently deleting eachothers recordings. Are you able to recover deleted recordings on V360 as you can with the V6?

It doesn't extend to recordings (yet) and as yet you can't undelete.  You can, however, set up independent watchlists per profile.

It's still early days for the platform and features will probably be added as time goes on.  As I said, lack of some features is the price you pay for being an early adopter.  SkyQ was no different when it launched.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just noticed this in another thread: 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/Keep-your-V6-tivo-Not-the-horizon-tv-360-service/...

From @BlueLou (VM Staff):

"We hope that everyone will choose to upgrade as the new platform is definitely an upgrade, especially now that we can say customers with multiple V6 boxes will be able to keep them (and the storage!). "

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the replies. For me and plenty of others I'm sure 360 looks like a step in the right direction but it is early days. With 2TB of storage and profiles that link recordings to the profiles I would think it would deliver pretty much what most people need, but as always you can't please everyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't exactly link recordings to profiles. If we both have a profile on the same box, and I delete a programme that was recorded, it is deleted for you to.

0 Kudos