cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is TV360 worth upgrading to ?

taffcard1
Tuning in

I have been reading the " upgrades to tv360 " blogs and the comments seem to be nothing but complaints. I have been quoted £35 for a TV6 to TV360 upgrade and with the loss of the 3 recordings facility I have on the hard drive on my 2nd box ( tivo ), coupled with those many faults in the blog I really do not think it's worth the cost. Virgin certainly seems to have rushed this out without too much thought whilst trying to offer something ( anything ) to combat the progress being made by Sky. I'm certainly considering changing. 

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The choice to convert to TV360 is one that only you can make, but it is both irreversible & voluntary.

If you have additional TiVo onto of your primary V6, you could get those swapped out to V6 first. That way, if & when you choose to convert - it's a straight SW conversion that will retain the HDD.

Or if you choose to remain with V6, you can.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @taffcard1 

If you swap out your Tivo to a V6 box you can then convert both boxes to a 360 at a later date, thus retaining the hard drive facility for recordings on both boxes.

I am very happy with the newer interface, and I've indicated in previous forum posts that I don't find it inferior to the Tivo boxes as I didn't make use of most of the bells and whistles on the older boxes.

I wouldn't say the 360 has been pushed out without much thought.  It is the same Horizon software that has been in use for around 3 or 4 years in the Liberty Global (VM's owners) territories, albeit without the cloud recording function which UK companies won't allow. The box in the UK has therefore been tweaked to allow the recording facility on the main box.

It is  being constantly updated as can be seen if you care to look at the Dutch website <<< here >>>   (google can translate it for you) which shows that there have already been 22 updates to it prior to the current 4.42 version. Tivo isn't being updated, apart from small tweaks to help the operation,  as VM haven't renewed the contract.

The Community Forums are mainly posts from customers that are having problems which they want resolving, so you are bound to see more detrimental posts regarding the dislikes of changing  to the newer Horizon based 360 boxes, or probelms connecting it to other equipment, which is pretty m,uch on par with the V6 and Tivo platforms. Most haven't read up on the differences between Tivo and Horizon before converting, it should be done on an informed basis and is presently by personal choice, although new customers have not got the option to take the tivo based boxes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you for a very insightful and helpful response. The 2 V6 box solution was something I didn't know was possible so it's certainly worth considering, especially in view of your further comments to the effect that it's nowhere near as bad a picture as I had built up. I'm now considering following your advice and exploring swapping my tivo for a second V6 box. Much thanks for your help.