cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Query

inbox4
Tuning in

I currently have broadband and phone services only from VM.

I have added TV to my package and an installation is booked for a week's time.

My router is currently in my office which is on the other side of the house to the lounge, where I went the TV box.

Do the router and TV boxes need to be in the same room or can the engineer bring the TV connection in from where the broadband reaches the house? I would prefer to keep the router where it is without the engineer accessing it.

Also, I run my router in modem mode. Am I right in thinking this of no relevence to the TV services?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

deans6571
Wise owl

I would imagine a splitter would need to be installed at the point where the cable enters the house - one cable for your existing VM modem/router and then a second cable to reach the TV box (which needs its own cable connection). 

As long as the TV box has a strong WiFi connection to your router then I wouldn't think they need to be in the same room. 

Thanks for the reply.

Couldn't the connection be split outside the property and then the respective connections go to separate parts of the house?

I'm not concerned about wifi strength/ speed. It's fine currently.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM TV boxes need two connections.

1: Co-ax cable which carries your live TV broadcasts, so in your case a splitter will need installing somewhere, to create a new co-ax run to wherever you want the TV box installed.

2: An internet connection via your homehub for OnDemand, streaming and various updates. Ethernet cable is always recommended given the option, but reliable WiFi should be sufficient.

Using your hub in modem mode with your own router shouldn't present any issues. Many on here - myself included - do exactly that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Very helpful explanation, thanks.

My wifi is fine, I wouldn't need ethernet for a fast and reliable connection. In this case, could the splitter be installed outside with my router being left where it is and the TV installed in a different room away from the router connection?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@inbox4 wrote:

could the splitter be installed outside with my router being left where it is and the TV installed in a different room away from the router connection?

Yes it can be, with the coax run along an outside wall with a new entry point in the room you want. Please note though that installation in this way is restricted to first floor height maximum, so if you are in a terraced house putting the cable over the roof to reach the rear would not be possible.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks