cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How economical is the Virgin box at different startup speeds?

GuyMal
On our wavelength

I have just had a new Virgin TV box installed and it was taking AGES to switch on, apparently because it was in Active mode, so I have changed it to fast start.

How long SHOULD it take for a new box to power up in each mode?

And how much energy does the box use when it’s on standby in each of these modes?

I want to be green, but it was taking over 5 minutes to power up in active mode, so goodness knows how long it takes to come on in Eco mode.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @GuyMal 

Does this post help?

/Virgin-TV-360/How-much-power-does-my-box-use 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @GuyMal 

Does this post help?

/Virgin-TV-360/How-much-power-does-my-box-use 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @GuyMal

Thank you for your post and did @newapollo's helpful advise help you resolve this?
Zoie

GuyMal
On our wavelength

No I’m afraid not. I think there might be a problem with the box, which was installed last week.

I went to SETTINGS>>SYSTEM>>Standby power consumption and set it to “Fast Start”. Whilst there I set the Standby Timer to 24 hours because it keeps switching itself off.

Today I was watching something on Amazon Prime through the Sky box and I put in on Pause. When I came back less than an hour later, at 13:45, the box had switched itself off. I used the remote to switch the box on and the light on the box went red+white. I pressed Home and it flashed.

The Virgin box finally sent a picture to the TV over 12 minutes later. 
Sometimes it doesn’t take so long. The TV is quite old.

But this can’t be right, can it?

Hi @GuyMal,

Thank you for expanding on this for me. I've just checked over things on our systems and I'm unable to detect any faults currently that would explain why you're facing this problem.

Is this ongoing for you today?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

GuyMal
On our wavelength

Hi Zach

Sometimes it’s OK, but mostly the delay in a picture reaching the screen is much longer than you’d expect. Yesterday it took nearly 7 minutes despite the box apparently being on. Today the Virgin box  had switched itself off (we’d been away for over 24 hours) and it took about 17 minutes from switching it on to getting a picture. And that’s on fast start.

What should we do?

Guy

Hi GuyMal, 

Thanks for coming back and advising us on this further. 

I've run some more checks today and it looks as though the input levels on your box are out which is likely affecting the start up time. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi GuyMal, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I'm glad the box is now powering up in under a minute. This seems more like it so we'll hold off on booking the engineer for now. 

If you start to notice issues again though, pop back and let us know. 

With the HDMI cable, we are only able to provide a standard length which will be the one you were given when you were installed. If you would like a longer one then you would need to purchase this yourself. We're not able to give any recommendations however members of the community may be able to instead. 

Many thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs