cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you Disable apps on a 360 box?

ian_day
Joining in

I would like to be able to disable or at a minimum pin protect apps from being opened accessed without authorisation. 

I have kids that spend virtually every minute they can watching mindless youtube videos and don't want them to be able to access it via the box. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

Hi Ian,

The quick answer to disabling apps is you can't.

This was recently covered on this thread,

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/Block-You-Tube-App/m-p/4728100#M13572

Roy.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Fairly sure this is something else that's in the "coming soon" list where 360 is concerned.

You can't disable apps on any VM TV box, but TiVo/V6 has the ability to PIN-protect them which 360 didn't when I last checked a few weeks ago.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

roy247
Community elder

Hi Ian,

The quick answer to disabling apps is you can't.

This was recently covered on this thread,

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/Block-You-Tube-App/m-p/4728100#M13572

Roy.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Fairly sure this is something else that's in the "coming soon" list where 360 is concerned.

You can't disable apps on any VM TV box, but TiVo/V6 has the ability to PIN-protect them which 360 didn't when I last checked a few weeks ago.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm not sure if this helps with the 360 but the following link gives advice on how to set parental controls on apps

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-parental-controls 

The info below is from the You Tube section of the above link.

You can lock or block YouTube on your V6 box using the instructions in the ‘Lock Apps & Games’ section above.

When you open YouTube for the first time the Restricted Mode will be set to Enabled. This will hide content you might prefer not to be shown during a search.

To reset this:

1. Select Settings from the menu
  2. Select Restricted Mode
  3. Choose Disabled

For more information on Parental Controls on YouTube see the YouTube Safety Center's Parent resources.

I haven't tried to set this up myself but the Safety Centre Parent resources link suggests setting up Restricted mode using a Family link.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/174084 

Perhaps you could set that up via your computer and sign into the VM app using those credentials?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ian_day,

Welcome to our community forums.

Thank you for getting in contact with us regarding blocking apps on your 360 box. Was the great advice given by our community helpful? Do you need any further help regarding this? 

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

None of these options work all virgin help pages refer to the older model devices. 

It is important that we can restrict / password protect some of the apps so we can control what parents are watching.. 

Please ensure that we are able block / restrict access to apps.

Good morning Ian_day

Sadly we are not able to block apps on the 360 

You can register a you tube account to block ansd set up parental controls though 

Gareth_L

Brilliant. So the upgrade is actually a step back. Can’t hide the apps, can’t lock the apps, the YouTube parental controls are sure and seriously easy to turn off. 
Considering the Children’s Code came out last year, and this is already a complete failure!

Hi GrumbleDook, 

Thanks for taking the time to post your views here. 

We understand this won't suit everyone and will feed this back to the relevant teams for future consideration. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It’s not that it won’t suit everyone, it’s that it is a serious issue. I’m at the point of saying sod it and telling virgin to take the box away, give me an old one from m somewhere and I’ll upgrade in 3 years when you have it sorted, considering that is how long it took to sort the issue of controlling YouTube previously.
This is before we get into the fact that I now have a device that can collect a significant amount of data that is handed over to a third party, with no controls at all.