Menu
CL04K
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Horizon not working with IR over CAT6?

Just want to firstly put it out there that I live in Ireland so the TV box that I use is not the tivo box but instead the Virgin Horzion box.

About a year ago I switched my ISP over to virgin media. Included in our bundle was the TV. When we were previously with Sky we had the TV in two rooms, the main distribution frame being the sitting room and the extension being the bed room ( over coax sky magic eye ). Unfortunately Virgin Media does not have any product of the sort. After doing some research I was able to find hardware called HDMI over CAT6, which would convert HDMI to cat6 and then back to HDMI. This also included a port that you could connect an IR receiver and sender to each end respectively. I ran a cat 5e cable as I had a ton spare and I heard someone used it for sky and it still worked fine. So I set it all up and I got perfect picture quality on the sending and receiving TV's. However there was still one problem - the IR would just not work at all. I tried the remote on multiple angles and even bought stronger IR senders and receivers, but still nothing. Recently I bought the exact same set that I saw worked with a sky box and sent IR signals through perfectly. Not to my surprise though, these also didn't work.

Does anyone know an alternative without signing up for the multiroom viewing? Is it something to do with the hardware? remote? I just really would appreciate some help on this matter as I have been messing around with it for almost a year now.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Horizon not working with IR over CAT6?

This forum is for Virgin Media UK customers, not VM Ireland.

I've moved your post to the TV360 board incase your query can be addressed by VM-UK Horizon box users.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
CL04K
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Much appreciated

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello

As the Horizon based boxes don't use IR for the boxes but uses RF I believe it is Bluetooth they will not work with that system, they only use IR to control your TV.

As you are in IE the best people to be able to support you would the IE support. https://www.virginmedia.ie/contact/

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos