cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to sign in for Catchup Channel 4

Roseyhue
On our wavelength

If two programmes we want to see are running at the same time we often watch one live and then go onto the electronic program guide to use the catchup function to watch the second programme.  No problems.  But last night when we used it Channel 4 wanted a sign in to be performed.  We selected sign in by television, but it just doesn't work.  You have to put in an email address and then a 6 number code that changes before you get your email address so it kicks you out.  It has a QR code method but we don't have anything that reads QR codes.  I tried signing in on a laptop but it didn't ask for the 6 number code!!!  and although I could see the programme running on my laptop it didn't accept the laptop sign in as allowing the TV to work for catchup.  The App function on the 360 box takes you to the same rigmarole so no way in that way.  Is it me????

8 REPLIES 8

Tavis75
Super solver

It doesn't help with your problem, but I would have thought in cases like that you'd be better off recording the program. Not least because you can then fast-forward through the ads, whereas I believe the Channel 4 app now has un-skippable ads.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I concur and agree with @Tavis75 who is absolutely right about the C4-branded app which does insist on you watching the adverts.

Your TV360 box allows recording of 6 programmes simultaneously, a much better solution than relying on any streaming/OnDemand system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Most mobile phones can read QR codes. I have a fairly old Samsung Galaxy whose Internet browser has a QR code scanner.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

roy247
Superstar

If your mobile phone doesn't have a QR code reader, it might be accessible if you select the camera, you can download one from Google play, the Kaspersky and Norton ones are free.

Roseyhue
On our wavelength

Thanks for your plies, but my point is that the TV based sign in process does not work!!  We do record programs but if someone says "did you see X" we go to the catchup or the app menus on the TV to watch.  Channel 4 used to be easy to access this way, but they have introduced a sign in process that just doesn't work, and I wondered if anyone else is affected or is it just me?  Our solution is just not to bother trying catchup or the App for channel 4, so all those companies paying for ads to be watched are not reaching us!!!  We watch something else.  As no one has reported having the same problem then it must be me.............or just like us, they don't bother with channel 4 catchup or the app or streaming!!!

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It's Channel 4's app and they made the change. As advised recording a programme is always best.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Yes, I've just discovered the same problem when trying to watch something on Channel 4 that I missed. I don't understand why it's ok to watch Channel 4 live but not on catch up. That seems like nonsense. I tried to register but had the same problems as you. I tried on my desktop but they want all your personal details (including what gender you are) I guess just so that they can bombard you with advertising. I lost my patience and gave up. I'd rather miss the programme.

roy247
Superstar

You need to set up your Channel 4 / All 4 account first, then sign in on the TV and use the 6 digit code to register your TV, then when you have finished watching something just press the TV/last channel button on the 360 remote to exit, don't sign out or you will need to sign in again.

Pretty much the same for most of the apps.