Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Fan inside V360 Mini??

Does anyone know if the V360 Mini has a fan inside? I know it doesn’t have a hard drive but it started making a whirring sound this evening and is a little warm. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Fan inside V360 Mini??

Don't know for sure but I assume it would have a fan as the main box is just a mini with HDD stacked on top. If you pick the box up the fan vent is from memory on the left. Is it blocked.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the V6 & 360 main boxes (which are entirely different software but the same hardware) have fans in them.

360 mini boxes I'm fairly sure don't. I hope they won't me paging them, but someone like @jb66 probably knows for sure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You changed your answer before I got a chance to reply, as far as I aware the lower part of a 360 main box is the same as a mini, so should have a fan. I can't check tonight to see if I can feel any air flow but I will do tomorrow.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No change of answer, just a rephrasing... I only learned quite recently that the V6 (and so by extension the 360) has a fan (thanks to jb66) so every day's a school day...

You're correct about the mini being the bottom half of a 360, the top-half (that's missing) has the HDD in it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just checked my mini box for air flow and can't notice anything, if it has a fan I am sure it will be temperature controlled and as the mini is in the conservatory and it's quite cool in there is probably why it's not running. I will check later when / if the sun heats it up and get the box on as well.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your replies. I was using the mini a lot last night (TV, On Demand and Radio) so was putting it through its paces which would account for the warmth from the box and a fan kicking in (if it has one). 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I just shone a torch at the base of the mini and can clearly see a fan. Nice to know it works 🙂

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi psvmfm78, 

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

The box has got a fan, as you have already found out however it shouldn't really be that loud. If it does get too loud, please let us know so we can investigate this further for you. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Kath_F wrote:

Hi psvmfm78, 

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

The box has got a fan, as you have already found out however it shouldn't really be that loud. If it does get too loud, please let us know so we can investigate this further for you. 

Thanks,

Thanks, Kath. It wasn’t overly loud, I just hadn’t heard it before so wondered what it was at first. It tends to come on when using the Radioline app, but it’s no issue. 

The only reason I heard it was because the mini is in our bedroom, so could hear it doing it’s stuff when we turned the TV off 🙂