Menu
Alan201
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Factory reset

Evening all

Does anyone know if a factory reset from within the settings menu deletes the recordings on the box?

Alan

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Factory reset

Hi Alan,

To factory reset go to Settings (cog at end of Home menu) > System > Factory Reset. With the 360 you won't lose your recordings (or most of your settings) by factory resetting

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

Hi Alan,

To factory reset go to Settings (cog at end of Home menu) > System > Factory Reset. With the 360 you won't lose your recordings (or most of your settings) by factory resetting

That is surprising, can you quote the source of that information?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

That doesn't make sense to me, a factory reset normally resets the box status back how it was when it left the factory. If this is the case the option is not a factory reset and should be renamed. Maybe adding a proper factory reset would be a good idea

0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

@newapollo wrote:

Hi Alan,

That is surprising, can you quote the source of that information?

It says so in the settings!!  I've also done it a couple of times.  Your recordings are kept intact and the only setting that changes (as far as I can tell) is "Match Frame Rate" which defaults back to "Off" (only noticed because of jerky panning on Netflix!).  It also resets all your apps so you need to sign in again.

20201210_203543.jpg

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

sounds like it might just reflash the firmware without erasing anything, so its not actually a factory reset

0 Kudos
roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi newapollo and paul0363,

so is the same as the old restart the box with 3 thumbs ok, and is it any different to just turning the power on + off to the box when in doubt ?

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

if that is what it does that is not a factory reset that is a restart or reboot

0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@roy247 wrote:

Hi newapollo and paul0363,

so is the same as the old restart the box with 3 thumbs ok, and is it any different to just turning the power on + off to the box when in doubt ?

It does a bit more than turning the power on and off does!  It resets all the built in apps to default and aslo re-loads all the channel subscription info (had the 100:70 error once when I tried a reset)  but it does keep all the settings (bar one - Match Frame Rate) and recordings.

It might be that it saves your settings in a config file somewhere and re-loads them after it's finished.  It takes a good 8-10 mins to complete and loads to the "Welcome to Virgin 360" videos whereas turning the power off and on reboots the box in about three minutes and returns you to the channel you were on before.

roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Not had the need to use it yet, maybe I have been lucky, I have a Humax box.

Thank you.

0 Kudos