cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FA Cup cut off before end.

Saintade
Tuning in

I set the Virgin 360 box to record the FA Cup final as I was out all day. I got home and watched the match, but the recording cut out one minute before the end of extra time and missed the penalties! This was very annoying...why did it do that? Obviously it automatically lengthens the recording for a live event so why not until after the penalties and trophy? Really not on, Virgin. 

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Saintade 

None of the VM set top boxes automatically recalculate the recording time when events over run.

You need to manually fine tune the recording length when setting the recording.

With the 360 you press the record button, then on the screen that appears click on Advanced options.

From there you can select extra time before and after.

The available extra time options are None, 1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins, 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours.

The FA Cup Final is available to rewatch on both the iPlayer and ITV Hub apps.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The vast majority of TV STB’s will not update a recording with a schedule change once that recording has already started. It’s facility we used to have in analogue days (programme delivery control), but was dropped by the broadcasters when digital services came in.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the explanation. But what you're saying is that we've actually gone backwards, technology wise! Also how come it was intuitive enough to get to the end of extra time then when the programme would have finished much earlier....

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The moral of the story is to always set padding to any recording of a live event you don't want to miss the end of.

The majority of the time, the padding built into the schedule covers you - but for the rare occasions it doesn't, manual padding covers you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Saintade wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. But what you're saying is that we've actually gone backwards, technology wise! 

The broadcasters used to have fully manned output suites, where the operator would press a button when a programme started or finished. This would drop a code into the teletext signal being broadcast by the channel which would trigger the viewers video recorder to start or stop the recording.

For a start, teletext no longer exists as the transmission format has changed completely. The output has also become totally automated & centralised, with only local programmes passed through a manually operated desk.

Even when the system was operating it was dependent on the desk manager getting it right. I remember several occasions where apologies were issued after several million recordings of Eastenders didn’t materialise due to someone’s “finger trouble”.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993